MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
US Blue Lodge offering 4 degrees
Post US Blue Lodge offering 4 degrees 
It is my recollection, in my past readings, that I came across mention of a Lodge on the US eastern seaboard which offers the fourth degree of Masonry in their Blue Lodge. I vaugely recall that they were chartered before the creation of the GL of the state in which they reside and were thus allowed to continue this ancient tradition following the GLE.

In a recent discussion with several brothers I mentioned this and was asked for further details. I have been unable to find the source and hope that a cyber-brother can assist me.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ken Shotwell
Arlington 129 (WA)

Im in Canada the 4 degree is that the Mark Master

I suspect it may be the Mark Man degree as distinct from the Mark degree. The former is carried out in a Craft Lodge as an extension to the FC degree and entitles the candidate to enter a Mark Lodge.
The degree has only recently been introduced into my constitution and I understand it is fairly recent in the UK as well.
This site has details of the ceremony:-

http://www.brad.ac.uk/webofhiram/?section=york_rite&page=Mark.html

Post 4th degree 
My lodge, [color=red]Independent Royal Arch Lodge No. two[/color], is the only [color=blue]craft[/color] lodge on the planet that confers the Royal Arch degree. It is one of our landmarks as our lodge pre-dates the creation of the G.L. of New York by approximately 29 years.

Post Mark Master Mason "Degree" 
All Lodges holding of the Grand Lodge of Scotland can work the 'Mark Degree". This is considered part of the Second Degree but, by Agreement with the Grand Royal Arch Chapter of Scotland, is only worked on Master Masons.

In the Canadian Province of Newfoundland and Labrador there are eleven lodges holding of the Grand Lodge of Scotland. The Mark is worked by several of these Lodges, including my Mother Lodge, Lodge Conception No. 1679.

Paul Miller
WPM Lodge Conception No. 1679 GLS
SW Farnham Lodge of Research No. 33 GL of Newfoundland and Labrador.

(Yes, there are two Regular Grand Lodges working in Newfoundland and Labrador.)

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1