MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Books on Masonry
Post Books on Masonry 
Greetings Brothers,

As a newly accepted mason i am looking for some good books to read. In my search i have come up against many sites offering me the secrets i so desire and interesting stories about Albert Pike, which i might add seem to be fuelled by paranoia and a 'fear what we don't/can't understand' ethos that seems to have surrounded freemasonry for many years. All i want to do is read interesting factual books (perhaps with some information about Hiram Abiff).

Another seems to be 'Freemasonry Inside Out' A New Angle on Masonic Secrets by Hugh McFarland - This books claims that its readers find ALL the answers that they need, and quotes that many freemasons have used it as a guide book. Has anyone read it? is it worth reading?

So, if any Brother has any suggestions for me or even any books that they wish to pass on or loan feel free to email me at jameschilds_1@hotmail.com

Bro James
E.A Chaggeley Lodge 8609
UK

In the recent published book by the author of Freemasons for Dummies, Bro Christopher Hodapp narrated that in the history of Freemasonry in U.S., Grand Lodges established itself in the same manner that the Grand Lodge of England created itself--- individual Lodges forming alliance among themselves. Even the late-comers known as “Ancients” from York formed their own Grand Lodge WITHOUT asking anybody.

In 1752 prelude to American Revolution as the book Solomon’s Builders stated that to the annoyance of established American Lodges under Grand Lodge of England (Moderns), a group of blue collar men mainly from north side of Boston, instituted their own Lodge WITHOUT asking anybody. To make matter “interesting,” they start issuing warrants to form other Lodges as the group formed in Green Dragon Tavern declared itself as a Grand Lodge! Later on the group called themselves St Andrews Lodge after they “got around applying a charter” to Grand Lodge of Scotland in 1756. This Lodge became the nucleus of AF&AM in the colonies where notable Masons like Dr Joseph Warren, John Hancock and John Otis were known members.

For further thought see, Without Permission. http://rmolano.blogspot.com/2007/08/without-permission.html

RmOlano
Hanford Lodge No. 279
Grand Lodge of California

As you are in a Lodge within the United Grand Lodge of England, books by American authors, though interesting in their own context, are necessarily not too relevant here. Amongst the stalwart, books of fact that have stood the test of time are the following:

Freemasons' Guide and Compendium Bernard E Jones, pub. Harrap, ISBN-10: 0 24556 125 0, ISBN-13: 978 0 24556 125 2 (there are several ISBNs depending on the edition)

The Freemason at Work Harry Carr, pub. A Lewis, ISBN: 0 85318 126 8

Masonic Facts & Fictions Henry Sadler, pub. Aquarian, ISBN: 0 85030 440 7

Symbolism in Craft Freemasonry Colin Dyer, pub. Lewis Masonic, ISBN: 0 85316 130 6 (paperback) 085138 102 0 (cloth bound)

and three small, highly informative booklets (get these first to whet your appetite!)

I Just Didn't Know That Neville Barker Cryer, pub. Ian Allan/Lewis Masonic, ISBN: 0 85318 219 1

Did You Know This, Too? Neville Barker Cryer, pub. Ian Allan/Lewis Masonic, ISBN: 0 85318 241 8

Tracing Boards, Their Development And Their Designers T. O. Haunch, pub. QCCC Ltd, ISBN: 0 90765 595 5

Believe me when I say that you won't be able to put any of these down before you've finished!

If you are really serious about your search for knowledge, do join the Quatuor Coronati Correspondence Circle. It costs very little, you get an annual book of all the papers delivered and related comment & correspondence - you can join in, you can go to the Lodge meetings at GQS to hear the papers and meet the authors. Well worth it. The QCCC web site is at: http://www.quatuorcoronati.com/. I must say the web site is not too impressive but you may find the 'FAQ' interesting.

Here is a GREAT resource for books: http://books.google.com/

Google has a great book search section. Sometimes you will find entire books available free to read and download right online!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1