MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
When a Mason a Real Man
Post When a Mason a Real Man 
Knowing the token and signs does not make a man a Mason. Neither his ring, car decals, jacket, nor dues card. Clandestine, legal, regular, irregular Masons comes in all shapes and forms and as member of the Craft we are somewhat familiar with the peculiarity of each. The general public seems not to care one way or another and in the big scheme of things, why should we? Freemasonry is an ideal, as the noted Masonic scholar named Albert Pike wrote in 1888, “it is a moral science, veiled in allegories and illustrated by symbols.” On whose authority that a certain group may declare that the other is illegal, whose brilliant mind decided that a Grand Lodge decision is final and cannot be contested, and who concocted the notion that only men can practice a moral science called, Freemasonry? I may have misspoken but I do have some questions in my thought. The Reverend Brother Joseph Fort Newton wrote a poem about what makes a man to be a Mason. This humble student is asking what makes Mason to become a real man?

For full article: http://www.geocities.com/rmolano5/realman.html

As an organization, such distinctions as "Regular" and "Clandestine" are necessary. It is necessary for an organization, such as a Grand Lodge, to determine which branches of a tree are healthy or unhealthy from a particular perspective. Resources are limited and an organization does not need to waste them on unproductive activities.

As an individual Mason, I know that there have been many schisms within the Craft over the centuries. I need to know which Lodges that I may enter, and which I may not. Sometimes, as in the case of Prince Hall, I may choose to ignore the opinion of a particular state's GL (and at the same time follow the recognition of my own GL). The distinction of "Regular" and "Clandestine" provides me with a framework for making a personal, ethical decision.

Freemasonry has had a number of books that expose our signs over the centuries. It is trivial to obtain Masonic trappings, including aprons, at antique stores and the like. External signs, and tokens are of little value in determining Masonic credentials in this day.

On the other hand, a person who shows integrity in all of their dealings, who lives by Masonic priciples, is a Freemason in their heart. This does not depend on the status of the Lodge, gender, or degree. A person who does not do these things is not a real Mason - even if they are a Grand Master.

Post When is a Mason a Man ? 
Perhaps the topic should be renamed "When is a Mason not a Mason ? "

The latest "buzz" topic in Freemasonry seems to be Prince Hall Freemasonry and its offshoots!

I remember many years ago when I was a recently raised "white" brother into the Prince Hall Family in Freeport Grand Bahama, bumping into the then WM of a lodge cleaving to the English Constitution on the same island. He had heard that I had joined the "opposition" and after berating me for doing so, said " You are not a REAL mason, you know !" At the time, I did not have the knowledge to contradict him.

I do owe this (now residing in the GLA) brother a great debt of gratitude, for it spurred me into becoming a student of Masonic history. After my initial bemusement I hit the books (no internet then!), quizzed Masons more knowledgable than myself,visited Masonic museums and libraries, including the UGLE (who refused me "Masonic" hospitality because they were not at the time in amity with the PHA Grand Lodges) read the relevant articles in the AQC (Ars Quatuor Coronati) and in short , made myself familiar with my subject.

The more I learned, the more convinced I became that the Prince Hall Affiliation (All lineal descendents of African Lodge No.459 in Boston Massachussetts, chartered by the Grand Lodge of England - Moderns in 1784) are, and always were, perfectly regular,in the Masonic sense. What they were not, was "Recognised", but that is another story. This situation of course has now been rectified by the UGLE and the "Sister" Grand Lodges of Scotland and Ireland, who now are in complete amity with many PH lodges in the USA and elsewhere, including my Home Grand Lodge, the MWPHGL of the Bahamas.

I now visit lodges in the area of my current residence in the UK and talk about Prince Hall Freemasonry, which is almost unknown in this part of the world, sometime I think I must be talking about Masonry on Mars !

The fact that this late lamented WM in the Bahamas questioned my Masonic authenticity bore fruit, as it impelled me into a lifetime of fun and fascination, which has taken me into some wonderful lodges in various corners of the world, where the colour of my skin has always been totally irrelevant.

To new brothers I would say that the more you learn about Freemasonry the more fascinating it becomes, and the more there is to learn. It certainly does not stop when you leave the Lodge Room.

With kind fraternal regards,

Lobbus.

In addition to normal mainstream "regular" Freemasonry which is recognised by the majority of the older Grand Lodges such a the United Grand Lodge of England and its friends, there is a group of other quasi-masonic bodies, all of whom would have you believe they are holders of the Truth. All it takes to do this is to have a clever lad (or lass) who can build a persuasive and genuine looking website.

Look at www.masons.start4all.com which has literally thousands of sites listed, some genuine, some not so genuine! At least one of them is visually interesting to any normal redblooded male!

A good source of REAL truthful information is the site run by Ed King at www.masonicinfo.com which will give the lowdown on many so-called Masonic websites from, for example, the "Regular Grand Lodge of England" to the "Grand Lodge of all England". Neither of them are 'regular' nor of 'all England' but have been set up by a couple of individuals who have been expelled from the Regular Craft and have fallen out with each other!

What they have managed to do is get in touch with other irregular and disaffected people around the world and endeavour to give the impression that they are a large, well organised grouping more real than anyone else.

Just don't let yourselves be fooled

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1