MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Not 4 Everybody
Post Not 4 Everybody 
Not for Everybody
By Rudy Olano
21Jan06

More often than not, success is always measured in numbers. In the context of declining membership, most of the letters or articles I have seen and read were the expressions of concern of a “dying Fraternity.” Because the Order loses X number due to passing away or disinterest compared to X number of raised to Master Mason degree with its collateral result of amount of paid membership dues. This writer tends to lean in favor of the camp of those who believe in quality rather than quantity. Like many of the current members, this humble traveler will be extremely glad if more good men flock to join our Fraternity in a hope of making themselves a better man. However, reality dictates that the Craft is not the only group that offers that notion. Freemasonry does not have the monopoly of self improvement while respecting other beliefs. Our Craft will always have “competition” to the pool of good men and to dream of taking them all is just like that word---dream.

An argument could be advanced that the Fraternity was never conceived to be a large group. All the indications to limit the membership were still being practiced and observed despite of the attempt of those craved for change to adapt to modern times. It seems that adaptation means a way to reverse the downward slope of membership issue and the mathematical answer to the problem is to increase the production. Many ideas that floated around and some were actually implemented were designed to bring more individual “to participate in our privileges” as in one-day conferrals and ease off usual requirements such as writing an essay instead of “committing to memories certain parts of the lecture.” How many of us do not even pause to discard something we consider cheap, easy to replace and of little value if not outright worthless?

Men used to flock in our Fraternity because they expect that the Craft were “above” or rather, not like other organizations. The Order used to attract men who are not “ordinary” people; they may be living better than familiar folks, possess skills that are not common or engaged in a profession that pays a notch or two higher than average. The fact was that during the Golden Years of Freemasonry, members of the Fraternity were not your everyday “ordinary” men. One could ask why does “exclusive” country clubs have a year-long waiting list for membership. Despite of expensive membership fees, men who can barely play golf lined up to get in? Why? Because they expect quality; be it may in service, using real glass instead of Styrofoam cup, real sit down dinner instead of being catered by amateurs or kids, or maybe the need to be associated with people and environment that is not “ordinary.” An assembly with room full of attendees wearing open neck shirt and jeans feels different than with a gathering of people wearing coat and tie and/or tuxedo. Men who understand quality dressed up for important events, they “adorn great and important undertakings.”

This humble writer submits that our Fraternity is not for everybody and limited only to those who qualifies. Just like military or religious vocation, our Craft is NOT for general population. Not everybody can get in; there are requirements to be met such as capability to meet financial obligations, mental aptitude to tackle what are needed for the rituals, availability of time for the Craft without concern for second job, etc. The lowering of standards such as requirements to be more financially “affordable,” and taking anyone who ask without regard to the issue of “bringing honor to our ancient institution” are some of the reasons why members dropped off and some of unintended consequences of quantity approach and not to mention an unpleasant result in the coffers of those who depend on it. A Master once said that he rather have a membership roll with nine names of brothers who regularly shows up in meetings and conferrals listed than one hundred names on the roster including names of those regular nine. People showed up because they like to and not because they have to. Numbers seems irrelevant in the context of maintaining “those truly Masonic ornaments, Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth.”

Orginally written and submitted for Sequia Council No. 228 (AMD)

I am not quite convinced a raising of the annual dues or any financial measure will make Freemasonry a more attractive society. Of course, your point - "Not for Everybody" is, I agree, right, but it depends. You can't expect a military Lodge for instance to change it's membership standarts. They might be low only from your point of view but not in general. My suggestion is to attract more young people from the universities and colleges. On this way we will be able to secure not only the future of freemasonry but to help the (possible) young brethren too. This I don't consider cit. "lowering standarts". One might say we should invite more candidates from the politics and society but my experience shows me it is too hard te get such a candidate involved in masonry. Our life has changed and most people are too busy and do not like to involve themselve in any kind of organization.

You have probably forgotten why the masons decided to wear a tuxedo (esp. white and black). It is because we are and used to be equal in Freemasonry. One was not allowed to distinguish between an aristocrat and a burgeois in a Masonic Lodge. But if you are saying that a Mason should take pride in being member of this ancient Fraternity (f.i. by wearing more distinguished clothes like tuxedo) I agree with you. Believe me, changing the form doesn't mean changing the way. If we are not able to attract more candidates now, we won't be able to attract them dressed up in tuxedos.

Post Re: Not 4 Everybody 
Thank you too for understanding and commenting to the message of the article. Because the Order established set of rules or standards therefore, it is obvious that not all of those who knocks will be admitted. The Fraternity screens petitioners because, for lack of a better word, only those who deemed "worthy" will be given the privilage to join our Institution. By that definition, the title of "Not 4 Everybody" is a counter to "2B1ASK1" as the former implies the seriousness of the process while the latter seems to suggest that any interested comers can be a Mason. The lowering of standard I am speaking of is directed more toward to the idea of signing petitions without due regards to the concluding paragraph of the EA Charge for the sake of quantity.

Being retired from military after 21 years of active duty, I dont quite follow the military lodge membership example. The Craft wishes to attract good men from all walks of life (within certain age bracket) therefore, I am not ready to agree on "attracting young men from universities and colleges" for the future of Freemasonry nor consider the thought as "lowering standards." Masonic lessons teaches us to "adorn great and important undertakings" so dressing up for our activities is a civilized way in the same context as attending Sunday services. "It is the internal not the external" quality of men that we are interested not the level of education nor the kind of clothes they wear--uniform or tuxedo. I will venture to say that we are in agreement that the Fraternity must enforce its own rules to be selective among the pool of good men. In order "to be able to attract more candidates" hence, ensuring the continued existence of our Craft, quality NOT quantity of our membership will be the key.

Thank you most especially for not using the word "exclusive." Some people expounded that word so many times which really twisted what I am trying to shed some light. This prompted me to write ---Exclusive or Not Exclusive. It is posted somewhere in this forum.

Regards,
Rudy

Post Re: Not 4 Everybody 
rmolano wrote:
Thank you too for understanding and commenting to the message of the article. Because the Order established set of rules or standards therefore, it is obvious that not all of those who knocks will be admitted. The Fraternity screens petitioners because, for lack of a better word, only those who deemed "worthy" will be given the privilage to join our Institution. By that definition, the title of "Not 4 Everybody" is a counter to "2B1ASK1" as the former implies the seriousness of the process while the latter seems to suggest that any interested comers can be a Mason. The lowering of standard I am speaking of is directed more toward to the idea of signing petitions without due regards to the concluding paragraph of the EA Charge for the sake of quantity.

Being retired from military after 21 years of active duty, I dont quite follow the military lodge membership example. The Craft wishes to attract good men from all walks of life (within certain age bracket) therefore, I am not ready to agree on "attracting young men from universities and colleges" for the future of Freemasonry nor consider the thought as "lowering standards." Masonic lessons teaches us to "adorn great and important undertakings" so dressing up for our activities is a civilized way in the same context as attending Sunday services. "It is the internal not the external" quality of men that we are interested not the level of education nor the kind of clothes they wear--uniform or tuxedo. I will venture to say that we are in agreement that the Fraternity must enforce its own rules to be selective among the pool of good men. In order "to be able to attract more candidates" hence, ensuring the continued existence of our Craft, quality NOT quantity of our membership will be the key.

Thank you most especially for not using the word "exclusive." Some people expounded that word so many times which really twisted what I am trying to shed some light. This prompted me to write ---Exclusive or Not Exclusive. It is posted somewhere in this forum.

Regards,
Rudy

It is my pleasure, Brother Rudy. I am always delighted to see more Brethren concerned about the future of the Craft. It is true that not everybody who knocks will be admitted. But as a matter of fact (I don't know what's the situation in your Orient) there aren't so many candidates willing to knock. THIS is the result of the 2B1ASK1 and all the manifestation of Freemasonry in the public. The Freemasonry got profanized. We are still considered a brotherhood with secrets or better a discreet society. I fully agree with you - quantity will never lead us to quality. It'll lead us to what we might call profanization.

Actually I am not involved with the military beside the fact that I am a member of a (former) US Military Lodge in Europe. This is the reason I brought the example with the military Lodge. I still believe it'll cause only good to the Craft if we can attract more young and educated candidates. But you are right - quality is the key. The question is how. Why should they join a lodge? What can we offer? Again, offering them mass initiations, "leadership" programms, "become a Master Mason in 3 days" low cost opportunities and etc will not solve the problem. That's my opinion, of course.

Back to the dress code. It's said wearing masonic regalia and jeans is a bit silly. Wearing a tuxedo shows the pride we take in Masonry. It is still not an organization like the others. We are still different. I agree that a tuxedo is affordable for everybody in the US but that's not the case in Europe.

I will certainly take a look at the "Exclusive or not exclusive".

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1