MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Gloves in Lodge
Post Gloves in Lodge 
Greetings

I have a question or three which I have also posted on other forums and still seek light on.
The use of gloves in lodge some lodges wear them some do not.

I was wondering does your lodges wear them?
Does everyone in the lodge wear them or just officers?
What is history/significance of them?

S&F
Andrew

Post Gloves in lodge 
everyone always wears gloves during works in our lodge Aldebaran (GLRI Italy).Greetings gieffepi

If i remember correctly there has been a artikel about the gloves, postet on main site Readers of PS Review of FM
take a look at this artikel http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/zeldis02en.html

Yours sincerely and fraternally
Dan Bülow-Jensen

Ofcourse we wear gloves during works and i never saw a lodge meeting in Belgium, France or Germany, where the brethren do'nt wear gloves.
Does it exist somewhere?

Post Wearing Gloves 
Hello Andrew
In my current lodge in Ontario Canada no one wears gloves. The three principal officers in my mother lodge in British Columbia Canada always wore them. I have not seen the practice of presenting a new mason with gloves along with an apron in Canada although it happens elsewhere.

Harry Carr says in THE FREEMASON AT WORK
....." As to symbolism, I am inclinded to believe that gloves came into Speculative usage, like the aprons, as a direct heritage from operative practice, both aprons and gloves being essental items in a mason's working apparel. This would suggest that the prime symbolism of gloves (and aprons) is to emphasize the operative origins of Speculative Masonry.
Gloves have had a wide ranging symbolism since the middle ages in legal, military ,and liturgical use. Our custom of wearing white gloves as with our aprons of white lambskin is probably associated with the idea of purity.".....
Harry Carr, A freemason at work, 1976 published by Lewis Masonic

I hope that helps
Percy Jantz

Post Wearing Gloves 
Hello Andrew
In my current lodge in Ontario Canada no one wears gloves. The three principal officers in my mother lodge in British Columbia Canada always wore them. I have not seen the practice of presenting a new mason with gloves along with an apron in Canada although it happens elsewhere.

Harry Carr says in THE FREEMASON AT WORK
....." As to symbolism, I am inclinded to believe that gloves came into Speculative usage, like the aprons, as a direct heritage from operative practice, both aprons and gloves being essental items in a mason's working apparel. This would suggest that the prime symbolism of gloves (and aprons) is to emphasize the operative origins of Speculative Masonry.
Gloves have had a wide ranging symbolism since the middle ages in legal, military ,and liturgical use. Our custom of wearing white gloves as with our aprons of white lambskin is probably associated with the idea of purity.".....
Harry Carr, A freemason at work, 1976 published by Lewis Masonic

I hope that helps
Percy Jantz

In our Nederlandic workings we wear gloves but remove them in summer because it is too hot
The presentation of 2 pair is a special part of the import of S,G & W ritual
Remember gloves must be removed to shake hands and whenever one is conducted by hand around the Temple

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1