MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Women in Freemasonry
I don't know any women who would be comfortable sitting in Lodge with men who do not want them there.

We do feel, however, that some of the Malecraft Lodges would be open to intervisitation if the option were given to them. And that granting us regularity wouldn't necessarily _require_ Lodges to admit women or allow intervisitation. Ideally, there will be a time when 'regular' lodges will have the option of having men-only, women-only, or mixed lodges according the the needs and wants of each individual lodge.

A malecraft mason once argued that his oath only specified to not be present at the "making or raising of a woman" and that everything else is fair game. I can certainly see lodges maintaining those parameters and still have both genders coexist under one Order.

Quote:
Division is only within the synagogue where prayer is done in one voice: the community. So even if a family member is halfway around the world, they are still praying together within the community.

This actually reminds me of the masonic question re the sun at its high meridian in relation to all of Freemasonry, because somewhere in the world it will be h.m.and as we are to be found w/wide and we are one family ,ipso facto we are praying for ALL of us at any given time ie we are a w/wide community!?

hmm.... seems the topic had gone a bit astray but nevertheless very informative...
all the best Laughing
S&F

This actually reminds me of the masonic question re the sun at its high meridian in relation to all of Freemasonry, because somewhere in the world it will be h.m.and as we are to be found w/wide and we are one family ,ipso facto we are praying for ALL of us at any given time ie we are a w/wide community!?

At the risk of diverting the topic even further, let me suggest that the explanation of the sun at its meridian is a case of veiling in allegory. For example, the explanation is more true for fishing and golf than it is for Masonry.

The clue is that the light from the sun at its meridian constitutes a plumbline

Cheers

Russell

Post Re: Women in Freemasonry 
aylok2006 wrote:
Brethren all,

I am aware that there are some non-regular Lodges (according to the different constitutions of course) that have women members. Is there any Brother here that belongs to such a Lodge? If so, can you kindly shed some light on basic things which you are allowed to disclose? Thanks.F

I appreciate this is an oldish thread, but there's enough to it to review it and thus make my introduction to this forum.

Introductions first: I am Cora, 36, FC in Lodge Light of Amen-Ra No 717 under the British Federation of the International Order of Co-Freemasonry "Le Droit Humain". I am Thurifer and Assistant-Secretary of my Lodge and member of the National Council of the British Federation. I know myself to be a Freemason by the regularity of my Initiation etc., so I most certainly do not consider myself "irregular", but appreciate that to some inevitably I am.

Que sera, sera!

What "basic things" do you want to know? My Lodge works the Lauderdale ritual, which has much in common with Emulation and perhaps more so with Taylor's as in use in the United Kingdom, however it is unique to my Obedience in that it is longer, more complex and more esoteric than the aforementioned, and even than some of the other rituals in use in my Obedience.

I am told our signs are slightly different / more elaborate than those in use in, say, UGLE, but the pass- and degree words are the same (although on the Continent they tend to swap them, but that is not uniquely Co-Masonic). Obligation, Charge and Proficiency Questions are 99% the same as in Emulation / Taylor's, although Lauderdale does have additional Charges known as "The Mystic Charge" -- written by Annie Besant.

The key question for most is whether or not we demand a belief in a Supreme Being from our Candidates. The answer is, for the British Federation, a resounding yes. We do, however, not expect our candidates to answer that question "In all times of danger ..." in fixed format, i.e. they are free to answer in whatever wording they choose. We do not define what that Supreme Being should be; that's down to the individual.

We have the Bible, Qu'ran and Baghavad Gitta on our Altar as VSLs, which incidentally means "Volume of the Sacred Lore for us. Our workings are performed in due and antient form, and save for the slightly more elaborate ceremonial and the obvious presence of men and women on equal footing within the Lodge, you wouldn't know the difference.

Ask away if you have any further questions!

S&F,

Cora

Lodge Light of Amen-Ra No 771
Orient of Surbiton
International Order of Co-Freemasonry "Le Droit Humain" - British Federation

VSL = LORE ; may as well let humanoids in who believe in humanism
LAW as defined as instruct & guidance as opposed to story IS the mainstay

You must rethink your path

Now I know why you are IRregular Laughing

No -- you know why you consider me irregular. There's a difference.

Quote:
You must rethink your path

I must no such thing. It's my path and it's not for you to prescribe it to me.

S&F,

Cora

You have been making sweeping statements about the similarities and differences between our respective rituals, and in the same breath introduce yourself as a "FC".

Does this mean that you already know what to expect in your further progress in your "Masonic" system, or are you just running a bit "ahead" of yourself ? If it is the former, it must be far from what I have known and loved all these years, and if the latter, I will be interested to hear your further thoughts when you have the complete picture.

Regards,

Lobbus.

Dear Cora,

You have been making sweeping statements about the similarities and differences between our respective rituals, and in the same breath introduce yourself as a "FC".

I have commented on what I, based on having read the various rituals in my current degree, have noticed, and what has subsequently been confirmed by Brn:. working those rituals. Are you saying that my being an FC should reflect on my ability to read, listen and discuss the workings of my degree?

Quote:
Does this mean that you already know what to expect in your further progress in your "Masonic" system, or are you just running a bit "ahead" of yourself ? If it is the former, it must be far from what I have known and loved all these years, and if the latter, I will be interested to hear your further thoughts when you have the complete picture.

I guess I've clarified that above -- my knowledge is at this stage necessarily restricted to that of the 1' and 2'. All things being well I shall be Raised in June, so once I've had a chance to put that experience into perspective, I'll be happy to report back:-)

I do have a problem as I mentioned earlier
You said that you have a copy of the Bhaghavad Gitta on your altar -- " the song of god"
Which god?
BG refers to the religion of the Hindu, as defined partly below:

Quote:
Unlike other religions in the world, the Hindu religion does not claim any one prophet; it does not worship any one God

So please clarify why I am incorrect in calling your chosen way irregular
Best wishes
DB

I said we have a copy of the Bible, the Qu'ran and the Baghavad Gitta on our altar -- again, there is a difference. Must you be so selective in your highlights?

Freemasonry is not limited to Judeo-Christianity. What you equate TGAOTU with is not binding upon all Freemasons. That lack of dogma is what makes Freemasonry so beautiful.

Where else can you stand shoulder-to-shoulder with a Muslim, a Christian, a Buddhist, a Hindu, a Pagan, and call one another Brother?

This is why religion is not discussed in Lodge, because we humans make it -- in my opinion -- the single most divisive force in this earthly realm.

I am certain that in accordance with your own Grand Lodge you are quite justified in regarding me and my Order as irregular, and I couldn't care less about that. The only earthly authority who has the right to judge my regularity is my own Supreme Council -- yours has no authority over mine, nor me.

S&F,

Cora

Cora

Lodge Light of Amen-Ra No 717
British Federation, International Order of Co-Freemasonry "Le Droit Humain"

The Highest Ideal in Life is to Serve/
Where else can you stand shoulder-to-shoulder with a Muslim, a Christian, a Buddhist, a Hindu, a Pagan, and call one another Brother?

I suppose at the local football game :lol:

There are Lodges in both Singapore and Hong Kong which have up to six different VSLs on the pedestal

Regular lodges?
Under whose jurusdiction?
To which god are they implying?
Seems to contradict the norm??
David

I know of several Brn:. here in United Grand Lodge of England in whose Lodges various VSLs are placed on the altar.

Cora

Lodge Light of Amen-Ra No 717
British Federation, International Order of Co-Freemasonry "Le Droit Humain"

The Highest Ideal in Life is to Serve/
Reply to topic Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next