MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Searching for Morals and Dogma
Post Searching for Morals and Dogma 
Searching for Morals and Dogma
By Rudy Olano
Lincoln Lodge No. 34(Phil)
Hanford Lodge No. 279 (CA)

A brother sometime ago requested an assistance in finding a copy of the original documents which serve as the basis for Albert Pike’s opus Morals and Dogma. It stands to reasons that Pike consulted various references in his book. The catch was that the Morals & Dogma was published in 1871 therefore, any references before that time might be tad hard to find. Books such as Clausen's Commentary on Morals & Dogma and the relatively new book, Bridge to Light by Hutchens which "replaced" Morals & Dogma as a gift to new Scottish Rite Masons can be valuable sources for understanding Pike’s work. Albert Mackey who introduced Pike to Scottish Rite recognized the diversity of various SR degree works. He encouraged Pike to write a standard ritual for the A&ASR. M&D came about, the point is that half of Pike's work was compilation of other works which the preface of the book declared, "In preparing this work, the Grand Commander has been about equally Author and Complier; since he has extracted quite half its contents from the works of the best writers and philosophic or eloquent thinkers. Perhaps it would have been better and more acceptable if he had extracted more and written less."

Our brother quest to find for materials used in writing the M&D is like looking for the references used in writing the Bible. It is important to note that I am not comparing the content of those books/volumes but rather using the analogy of questioning the source of the information. Some people accept them as it is/was, other people often called as freethinkers ask questions such as that. If I may be allowed to say a word regarding freethinking, the first thing to remember is be careful of what you learned for often times, you will find something that might cause you sleepless nights.

On the positive note, this writer was glad as the line of question indicates that our brother is well on his way in his Masonic journey. He chooses to study Pike’s Morals & Dogma as his quest--- as his Lost Word. By not accepting what was written and asking the sources of the script, our brother displayed something beyond customary and contemporary Masonic attribute. He understands that something important was lost and what he has in possession is the substitute. It appears that our brother is searching for not what the M&D contains but a more important question of how it was created. Very advance state of thinking---looking for the root of knowledge, seeking out the Truth.

In our modern day world, many of our brothers never went beyond realizing that something important was lost therefore, seems uncaring on the next phase of journey---searching for "that which was lost." It is ironic that the very notion itself appeared to be lost as brethren often interpreted correctly that the Hiram Legend was about keeping steadfast in ones principle in face of death. But there are more to it; the Tragedy in the Temple is only a part of the Mysteries/Lessons in Freemasonry. Considering the totality of the complete ancient rituals, we are being taught to accept that we lost something valuable, then search for what was lost and finally to preserve it when we find the real Word. It is the path of our Masonic journey. With careful and diligent search we might find the Truth before the last grain of sand runs out in our individual hourglass. Such is the path of our travel and our Faith.

Post Searching for Morals and Dogma 
Where are we searching for the Truth? Where do we expect to find the Truth?

Just a few questions to balance your answers, Bro. Olano.

Best regards,

C. Mambet

"If the WORD is a symbol of Divine Truth; if the search for the WORD is a symbol of the search for that TRUTH; if the LOST WORD symbolizes the idea that Divine Truth has not been found, then the SUBSTITUTE WORD is a symbol of the unsuccessful search after Divine Truth and the attainment in this life of what is only an approximation of it. The TRUE WORD is the symbol of life eternal as the LOST WORD is the symbol of death."

--- Anonymous

If any Brethren knew who was the source of the beautiful thought above, kindly provide the information in your response.

Bro Mambet,
the Brother who was the object of the article later on wrote me that he thought/find that the conduct of the journey is what really matters and not as much as the object of search. Even in a very small way, I was fortunate to be a part of his journey.

It has been said that it is far easier to ask for answer than knowing the question. My standard question to petetioners is what they are really seaching for? and for Brothers who are continuing thier travel in search for that which was lost, my hint was that dont be surprised to what they will find, for man already knew the answer to thier question, mortal men just don want to admit it.

S&F/
Rudy

Post Albert Pike conspiracy to establish a new world order 
Dear Bros.

I have thoroughly studied M&D by Albert Pike, and also A Bridge do Light. However, I have found, mainly in Internet, several articles about this author referring to his ties with Mafia founder Mazzini and their desire to establish a new world order in America. At first, I thought it was a very fantastic story, but found too many articles that support this idea. There is one article that mentions the city of Washington, with many masonic symbols embeded in its streets, that supposedly should be the center of this project.

I like to hear from the brothers how much of it is really true and what happened to that project. Is there any reason to believe that the illuminati are still behind those plans?

Best regards to all,

Antonio Orselli
Santos/Brazil

There is no letter or communication bwn Pike and Mazzini

It is a commonly believed fallacy that for a short time, the Pike letter to Mazzini was on display in the British Museum Library in London, and it was copied by William Guy Carr, former Intelligence Officer in the Royal Canadian Navy. The British Library has confirmed in writing to me that such a document has never been in their possession. Furthermore, in Carr's book, Satan, Prince of this World, Carr includes the following footnote:

"The Keeper of Manuscripts recently informed the author that this letter is NOT catalogued in the British Museum Library. It seems strange that a man of Cardinal Rodriguez's knowledge should have said that it WAS in 1925".

It appears that Carr learned about this letter from Cardinal Caro y Rodriguez of Santiago, Chile, who wrote The Mystery of Freemasonry Unveiled.

To date, no conclusive proof exists to show that this letter was ever written. Nevertheless, the letter is widely quoted and the topic of much discussion.

So make of it what you will

http://www.timboucher.com/journal/2005/09/03/myths-of-masonry-part-4/

Also suggest reading this site

I would also like to research the original Scottish Rite degrees before Pike revised them. Has there been any progress in locating them since this thread was first created?

http://www.vermontlodgeofresearch.com/Publications/Official/The%20Word.pdf
Article by Brent Martin

He does not quote source so maybe it is his

I thank Brother dbdent for the infomation and the link to the article "The Word" by Brent Martin. Now I can quote the subject along with the name of the author. When I first stumbled on the topic, it was presented as a paragraph and without author's name. Reading the article illuminated the deeper thought of the writer/Brent Martin relative to his view on what is Freemasonry. Again, I thank Brother dbdent for pointing us a path toward further light.

The Francken Manuscript 1783. I think this would be a great place to start. I have purchased this book/manuscript. Now, I want to know the motivation and reasons behind creating these degrees.

Quote:
This is a complete typescript of the rituals of all twenty-five degrees of Etienne (Stephen) Morin's Masonic Rite which became the foundation of the Ancient and Accepted (Scottish) Rite. Soon after the development of 'Ecossais' Masonry in France, Morin was appointed 'Grand Inspector in all parts of the New World' by the Council of the Grand and Sovereign Lodge of St. Jean de Jerusalem in either Bordeaux or Paris. Morin, who had access to many high grade rituals, then apparently created a set of Masonic regulations called the 'Constitutions of 1762' to assist him in establishing High-Grade Masonry in the New World; he also organized these 'haut grades' into a Masonic rite. Armed with his patent, Morin traveled to Kingston, Jamaica, and between 1762 and 1767 conferred his rite upon H. A. Francken, whom he also appointed Deputy Inspector-General in 1769. Francken wrote out the rituals in at least three manuscripts-the most complete set being the 1783 manuscript. In 1767 Francken authorized a 'Lodge of Perfection' in Albany, New York, and the seeds of Scottish Rite Masonry were planted on the East Coast. By 1800 some fifty men had been appointed Deputy Inspectors, and several resolved to establish a governing body of the Rite. A document, known as the 'Constitutions of 1786' authorized an increase from Morin's 25-degree system to one of 33 degrees. On May 31, 1801, the first Supreme Council, 33rd Degree, of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite was organized in Charleston, South Carolina, which survives today as the Supreme Council, 33rd Degree, (Mother Council of the World) A\A\S\R\, Southern Masonic Jurisdiction, USA. This is a complete copy of Francken's best manuscript, and is the single most important document relating to the Ancient and Accepted (Scottish) Rite, because it is the lineal predecessor of the Rite. The rituals of this manuscript represent their authentic form at the birth of Scottish Rite, before they were modified by Carson, Gourgas, Yates, Pike, etc. To whatever extent the rituals may have changed in any jurisdiction, all owe their existence to the rituals of this magnificent document. CONTENTS: The 7 classes of antient and Modern Masonry; Laws and regulations for a Lodge of Perfection; Statutes and Regulations for a Lodge of Perfection; Further Instructions for a Lodge of Perfection; 4th Degree, Secret Master; 5th Degree, Perfect Master; 6th Degree, Intimate Secretary by Curiosity; 7th Degree, Provost and Judge; 8th Degree, Intendant of the Buildings; 9th Degree, Master Elected of Nine; 10th Degree, Illustrious Elected of Fifteen; 11th Degree, Sublime Knights Elected; 12th Degree, Grand Master Architect; 13th Degree, Knights of the Royal Secret; 14th Degree, Perfection; 15th Degree, Knights of the East; 16th Degree, Princes of Jerusalem; 17th Degree, Knights of East and West; 18th Degree, Knights of White Eagle or Pelican; 19th Degree, Grand Pontif; 20th Degree, Sovereign Prince of Masonry or Master ad Vitam; 21st Degree, Prussian Knight or Noachite; 22nd Degree, Knights of the Royal Ax; 23rd Degree, Knights of the Sun; 24th Degree, Knights of Kadoch and the Ne plus ultra of Masonry; 25th Degree, The Royal Secret.; Form of submission to be signed by all those who are initiated. This document is a reproduction of an invaluable Masonic manuscript, not an exposé, and is the single most important source of information on the early Scottish Rite rituals in existence.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1