MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
A peculiar system of morality veiled in allegory and .......
Post A peculiar system of morality veiled in allegory and ....... 
"A peculiar system of morality veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbols."

The above phrase is often quoted as if it supplied a complete and adequate definition of Freemasonry, but this is a mistake. It occurs in a certain catechism addressed to an E. A. and should be regarded merely as an explanation of Freemasonry intended for the initiate.

Freemasonry is something much wider than a school of purely moral instruction, as becomes manifest when we study the second and third degrees, which to a large extent consist of mystical teaching of a more complex and spiritual nature than that usually designated by the term, "moral instruction."

The true significance of the above quoted phrase lies in the fact that it is given to an E.A., and the first degree teaches the important lesson that spiritual progress is only possible to those who have conformed rigidly to the moral law. Indeed, it is only when the apprentice has satisfied his instructors that he has made himself acquainted with the principles of moral truth and virtue that he is permitted to extend his researches into the hidden mysteries of nature and science.

Now, "The hidden mysteries of nature and science" are clearly something quite different from the principles of moral truth and virtue. These, we are told, form a necessary qualification for advancement in the search for further knowledge, and this fact should put us on our guard against assuming that Freemasonry is a peculiar system of morality, and nothing more.

I had never thought of it in that way buit it makes excellent sense

Wayne

I state this to the Brothers of my lodge on a frequent basis, that the morality is just the beginning and that as you study to show thyself approved you take your mind on a journey that few men dare to venture. When things are not a part of the norm, we tend to shy away from that phenomenon. PHilosophy and especially the Philosophy of Freemasonry raises questions that some of us are afraid to learn the answer to.

Bro. Harmon Weston ( PHA )

I believe the phrase was put in there to get the new E.A. excited about learning new things. Somewhere along the line, people started using it to define Masonry as a whole. Oh well. Rolling Eyes

Darrell Hook
Secretary
Utica Lodge #337 F & AM
Watson, Indiana
32° Scottish Rite Valley of Louisville, KY
New Albany Chapter #17 Royal Arch Masons
Indiana Council #1 Cryptic Masons
Knight Templar New Albany Commandery #5

Perhaps one can say that freemasonry indeed is a 'peculiar system of morality veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbols', so philosofical by nature; however one can not restrict himself to this definition. Freemasonry is much more than this, of course. It also involves mythological elements (Hermetism), (operative) craft elements, elements of alchemy, psychology, and so on. Freemasonry in my point of view can lead to 'a' peculiar system of morality veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbols, but it 'is' not a system as such. In its esoteric sense, Freemasonry is the way towards one's own peculiar system of morality, and everybody should, for himself, find -through the used allegory and symbols- his own path and destination.
Symbols are not defined and cannot be defined, that is why we use them in the first place. Allegories describe certain issues in a figurative sense, since words are again unable to define what we see and feel. Bringing both together, makes sense when and only when the peculiar system of morality also is not defined nor definable and so very individual. We ourselves are the means and the end of Freemasonry. We cannot restrict ourselves to a philosofical system; this would be a contradiction in terms. We need to work on our own rough ashlar, and what comes out of it, is very personal.

Eric Vermeiren, Belgium

Pike tells us that Masonry is peculiar SCIENCE of morality.

At once we can see why it must be veiled from the unworthy (Masons).

Perhaps the primary usefulness of science is being able to achieve great results with little effort.

Now if a science of morality is a science of conscience and consciousness then it must necessarily be veiled from Masons as too dangerous for most brethren

Cheers

Russell Holland

Post Masonic Philosophy 
I perceive that "philosophy of Freemasonry" is a term, or phrase, that has not really been well considered. Here is a number of definitions from dictionary.com. Which are we going to use?
Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline.
Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.
A system of thought based on or involving such inquiry: the philosophy of Hume.
The critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.
The disciplines presented in university curriculums of science and the liberal arts, except medicine, law, and theology.
The discipline comprising logic, ethics, aesthetics, metaphysics, and epistemology.
A set of ideas or beliefs relating to a particular field or activity; an underlying theory: an original philosophy of advertising.
A system of values by which one lives: has an unusual philosophy of life.

It seems that we (Freemasons) need first to begin by defining our terms, from which base we may then be able to formulate a truly Masonic "philosophy". In addition, must we consider our proposed origins; for example the Templars or ancient Egypt? If so, then we must first again understand those philosophies. Let's get at it, brothers. This could be very exciting and valuable to our Craft.

Our Brother "canam" truly opens a nice discussion. Should or shouldn't we start by defining our terms. And how far should we define them? Of course many terms are already defined or can be defined, however, up to my personal opinion, some of the philosofical terms should not be defined. Aren't we using symbols and allegories to prevent hard definitions? Isn't the use of those not the basis for world wide Brotherhood?
Just open up the discusion. Hope to read your reactions.

Eric

Post philosophy 
Thank you Bro. Eric for your encouraging words. Perhaps you and I will be the first real discussion "group", and we may have to talk this up amongst our brothers for them to log in and take part. First I note your opinion about the realism of symbols and allegory. In earlier, and more dangerous times, Freemasonry developed or seconded the secret system of recognition in order for brothers, who were promulgating new science ideas and a new cosmology, to feel safe within their educational lodges.
Symbols and allegories were used to hide the new truths from those who would be either incapable, or unwilling to understand it. Nevertheless, the symbols and allegories had a basic underlying truth which could be articulated. I point out the idea of "parables" of the Christian "New Testament". They were interesting stories with a deep underlying meaning, which could be articulated, made real. Freemasonry may, indeed, keep its symbols and allegories, but I believe that we need to educate more completely about their true underlying meaning. Our lodges need to get back to the form of those early lodges, where the main reason for attending was the meaningful education being given. We need a clearly expressed philosophy (check dictionary definitions) from which we may build a system of education which will revitalize the Craft and make it more meaningful and attractive to others. How do we get that?

Symbols and allegories are used, in my personal view, where words cannot be used. Not to hide or disguise things, but to open up discussions which are not biased by culture, education, ethnography etc. What is 'brotherhood'? Can de define this? Can we describe this? Or, shouldn't we use a symbol, which is in its basics understandable for everybody be it that the details will always differ?
On the other hand, Brother 'Canam' makes another very important remark regarding the meaning of symbols and allegories, and here, he definitively touches an issue which will become a possible threat to our Royal Art, i.e. that many Brethren do no longer know the basic, perhaps operative meaning of many symbols and tools. Knowing how to use the tools in a correct operative way, will give more meaning and sense using them in a speculative way. I have seen many Brethren using all kinds of tools in their lodges, not knowing how to use them properly, not knowing why they were used in the ancient days. And this is a threat. Here, education is necessary. If we loose insight in the operative Freemasonry, we will loose the meaning and depth of speculative Freemasonry, and the use of words, tokens, signs, symbols, tools and allegories will no logner be sufficient; they will even commonly viewed as old fashioned. As when reading the Bible, we need to know the keys to read it the way it was meant to be read. These keys are to be found in the operative Freemasonry. So, Brethren all and Brother Canam, let's go back to our basics, teach what has to be tought, but, refrain from teaching too much as to the speculative meaning of the symbols and allegories.
Let's start the discussion!

For those brothers who are genuinely interested in the operative history of freemasonry I highly recommend the book by Paul Naudon, entitled "The Secret History of Freemasonry" (1991), English translation 2005, Inner Traditions, Rochester VT.
In my view this book should be a "must read" for all True Freemasons, from candidate onward. From this book one can find the a fact-based account of the European beginnings of today's "Freemasonry". It does not, however, deal with middle-eastern (read Arabian) operative masonry, nor does it touch upon Oriental operative masonry, but then, it was probably never meant to do so. If anyone out there in etherland can point me to sources for information re non-european operative masonry, I would be grateful, for, since speculative Freemaonry touts itself as being 'universal' I, for one, would like to learn about these other important operative groups, and how they comported themselves. I believe that such "universal" knowledge could help rid ourselves of any vestiges of Judeo-Christian doctrine which presently permeates our collective ritual, and allow us to understand more fully the deeply spiritual/practical building in which True Freemasons must engage.

Symbols and allegories are used, in my personal view, where words cannot be used. Not to hide or disguise things, but to open up discussions which are not biased by culture, education, ethnography etc.
quote]

I agree with this point. I think also that massonic philosophy is not allien to other philosophy. It is a system in the sense thta chooses some themes or some points of view that limited out of the vast human thought. I would not like on eithe with definitions of terms or with efforts of discovering the historical origin. I would like to finally start some philosophical disucsiion in this forum. I think, that as with our christian religion, so also with the free massonry it is vane to try to define a historical origin. When we give an origin it is more about what think principles and think tank we are more congenial to. Then, it is a way of judging events. What is good ? wht is bad? in the interrest of whom? in what perspective of time? For example.
Symbols and alegories. Certainly it is mainly their poetic expression thta frees ideas and ways of expressing things better that a limited rational definition. But that does not stop us from trying to see and speak out our understanding of the symbols. We leave still in a human layer where the word has its role. That said from someone thta has lived a lote through painting etc images.

Post Veiled in Allegories and Symbols 
A moral science veiled in allegories and illustrated by symbols, Freemasonry could also be expressed as a system of attitude based on ethics partly hidden through actions which indirectly convey its meaning by the use of symbols.

Masonic traditional lectures inform us of the origins of our Fraternity. However, historical and archeological facts do not support this story and anybody who would think other wise will be hard pressed to defend this notion. Allegory-fictional characters that serves as symbols. The Craft developed and illustrated this ceremonies to “make deep and lasting impression upon” the mind of the novitiates. We could agree they are products of fertile minds and also imaginary events.

The study of our Craft tells us to be extra curious for what we see or hear because there are meanings behind those "least letters, figures, or characters."

For additional thoughts on the subject, see http://www.geocities.com/rmolano5/veiled.html

F/
Rudy Olano
Lincoln Lodge No. 34 (Phil)
Hanford Lodge No. 279 (CA)

Post Principles behind characters... 
I was told that behind every personage in the magic flut, apart of the moral in human sense there are hidden elements of alchemy, in physical as well as philosophical sense.

''a peculiar science of morality, veiled in allegory, and illustrated by symbols''
If we try to think sharp, man's earliest instruction was by symbols.
No doubt of the primary existence and predominance of symbolism in the earliest times, in the former ages. When first ideas of men were impressed in their minds by the means of symbols.
In the study of Freemasonry , ''to symbolise'' is to compare one thing to another, so let's do this !
Even historical and archeological facts do not support old tradition, traditional lectures, of our ancient origin.
danjoe .·.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next