MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Quality Degree Work
Post Quality Degree Work 
A brother lightheartedly tells a story of a candidate who while kneeling in front of the altar, answered the inquiry that while in the condition of darkness his desire was “beer.” When prompted to say “light,” the candidate corrected the initial response to “lite beer.” There it was, in a dimmed lighted place, kneeling in front of the Holy Bible, hands and knees in a certain position, body erect within the square in which the candidate took a Solemn Obligation and all he could answer to a simple question was “beer.”

The incident should be funny had it happened somewhere else. In all seriousness, one has to wonder why the candidate said that or was thinking of "beer" at that time. Was it because he was coached to say "beer?" which takes us to issue of "having fun" during degree works. Or was it because the candidate really expects that the proceeding is somewhat of a joke because the appearance of many "jokers" around which takes us to the same issue of “having fun” during the ritual.

I can see the rationalization and acknowledged to be a party of some deviations during the Second Section of Third Degree but we all know that the Lodge is in refreshment during this proceeding. The impromptu creativeness does add color in a longwinded rite of the Master Mason Degree and at times a welcome respite for brethren. This practice however, is not officially approved or condoned by the Grand Lodge and I would venture to say that “deviations” varies from district to district and depends largely upon the inspector’s persona.

The degree works was "developed and illustrated" to "make deep and lasting impression" upon the candidate minds. It was "calculated to inculcate in the minds of novitiate the importance...." Having fun has its place in the Lodge however; rational thinking minds would recognize the frivolousness of such immature antics when the Craftsmen are at work. A true Master of the Royal Secret of the 32nd Degree of Scottish Rite recognizes the importance of balance in our lives. As a Master Mason it is also our duty to correct "the irregularities" of our less informed brethren.

As a Fellow Craft we were given an instruction which says, "... at all our assemblies, you will observe the solemnities of our ceremonies, that you will preserve the ancient usages...." Having fun has its place in the Lodge however, let us not forget the raison d'etre of that event. It is not for sideliners nor for visiting Brethren. Making deep impression correlates to seriousness of the Work and maybe a key for retaining and provoking deeper interest of a new Mason.

S&F,
Rudy Olano

The reason he replied 'beer' was because it was hot & stuffy and he had just been asked what he desired the most.Being thirsty etc ........and as you well know some candidates are brighter than others and preempt their conductor.

Nevertheless your point is well taken.All work should be done well but in the end it is the 'reception' of the Candidate after the ceremony and the following weeks which is of import. Brethren have to be brethren outside the lodge & should be friends as well - to sit and have a coffee etc

This lack of togetherness sometimes does more harm than we understand.

Finally the following is a true story.
The perpetrator, now passed to the Eternal East at a very good age, was attending an initiation in his capacity as an Hon Dep Grand Masyer.
He spoke with the candidate and jokingly said " What is a nice boy like doing here?" The candidate got up & left!!
Think before you speak in jest.

Think before you speak in jest.

Very wise words. How often do we do ourselves a serious disservice by allowing jokes about goats etc continue?

We must take the practice of our Craft seriously if we expect others to do so. That is not to say that there is not a place for fun and levity - of course there is - but we must be careful that it does not intrude into places where it does not belong

Wayne

but we must be careful that it does not intrude into places where it does not belong
Wayne

I can't agree more. Especially during initiation where we make the greatest, and in some cases a lasting impression on the mind of the candidates. We should be especially carefull in the EA initiations, where the candidates minds, and hopefully their hearts, or receptive to what masonry has to offer. If we present masonry to them as a joke, thats the way they'll take it. I don't know if the story Bro. Olano tells really happened, but I can tell you, if it had happened in my lodge, the Brother that prompted the candidate to say "beer" would've had to sit out the rest of the degree work. It's hard enough for the candidates to receive instructions without background distractions.

Nelson

PCnC McDonald Consistory 226
Bejilah Temple 166
United Supreme Council 33rd. AASR SJ (USA)
Being in the condition of darkness, what do you most desire….

When someone asked to shed some light in a particular issue, we naturally assumed that someone is in need to understand something. There is no divine element in that statement. To provide a “light” is to clarify, explain, to impart knowledge. When we ask a candidate of his desires being in his present condition, prompting should not be allowed. We should let the candidate think for himself and honestly state what in his mind. The parroting of and response “light” could mean different forms. It could be as simple as “whatever” because that is the right answer according to the prompter, a thing which is the synonym of darkness, or it could be a real human plea for Divine Intervention. We should let the candidate contemplate of the question and allow him to seek within his heart of what he most desire.

Being in the condition of darkness, a seeker doesn’t need to be prompted. A true seeker knows what he is looking for. He is initially in search of a Light and later on, for something that which was lost.

… Light will illuminate “the pathway of human life through the rough and rugged road beset with temptations, trials and hardship all terminating at last in the grave, the end of earthly ambitions.’

F/
Rudy Olano
Lincoln Lodge No. 34 (Phil)
Hanford Lodge No. 279 (CA)

Whilst in theory correct it requires a philosophical approach to a ritual of which a very nervous candidate has no knowledge
I would love to try this out in our ritual ! -- but I do not think permission would be granted.

Post Quality Drgree Work 
I agree with Brother Dent that it would be interesting to give this a trial, but I also suspect that it would never be approved. It might work a few times, but then you might well have a response as unexpected as the "Beer" of the above joke. A bit too risky for most lodges I fear.

Post No Prompting 
I am not suggesting a change/modification of the ritual per se. Just a couple of minutes of silence to allow the candidate to mentally "catch up" and appreciate what is being asked. Another time where no-prompting-give-time-to-respond suggestion could be use is during the “duty to relieve” lesson. How many of us felt the frustration of wanting to do something but unable to do so? How many of us felt, not so much of being embarrassed but the disappointment of blurting the real honest reason----, “I have nothing.” I tend to think that without really understanding and appreciating the “condition in which he stand,” the newly initiated brother might miss “an important lesson “in our Brotherhood.

S&F,
Rudy

Post No Prompting 
I meant couple of seconds not minutes. dang it, I wish Bro Bruno could give us an edit feature in this site. Sad

Rudy

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1