MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Freemasonry Needs Change
Post Freemasonry Needs Change 
Change is the evidence of life. If Masonry does not change, it will die.

Is it realistic to expect Freemasonry and Masonic practices to remain the same for tomorrow as they are today? Is it possible for Freemasonry to be the same today as it was yesterday? These are two questions that have troubled me for a long time, and I am sure that I am not alone in my concern. Change just for the sake of change serves no purpose, but change for the sake of improvement, or in some cases survival, is advisable and often necessary.

I believe it is realistic and advisable to let practices and customs expire honorably when they have served their purpose. I also believe it is realistic and advisable to allow new ideas to develop in order to meet the needs of new times and new situations. What was or is popular for one generation may not necessarily be popular or even acceptable for another.

Change is the evidence of life. If Freemasonry does not change, it will die. It is well and good for Masons to say Masonic charities and philanthropies, collectively and individually, are evidence of Freemasonry's life and well-being; however, the general public does not or cannot see the organization behind the act. The continuation of Masonic charity and philanthropy depends upon a healthy and growing Masonic membership. In order for any organization to remain healthy and carry out its objectives, it must attract new members. Freemasonry is no different. With membership in almost all Masonic Bodies declining, it is obvious that some of what has worked in the past is not working today.

Most successful corporations constantly reexamine their objectives, purposes, and policies. Today many businesses are restarting and putting their corporate goals into writing. Similarly, churches and religious organizations are now formulating "mission statements" to promote programs designed to assure growth and success in carrying out their goals.

What are the purposes of Freemasonry? What are its objectives? Most inactive Masons do not have an inkling of the answer or answers, otherwise they would be active. Active members are too busy administering the affairs of the several Masonic Bodies (or too busy holding them together) to give these questions much thought.

A familiar aphorism states that Freemasonry's purpose is "to make good men better." While this is true, this purpose is not proprietary to Freemasonry and is much too broad to be a mission statement. If the mission of Freemasonry is to be articulated, it must be done with a vision toward the future. Masonry did not become what it is today without change, without a hope for the future. In the beginning, there were no Shrine or Scottish Rite Hospitals, no Scottish Rite Childhood Language Disorders Centers, no Knight Templar Eye Foundation, no homes for aged members of the Masonic community. All these exist today because Masons of yesterday had a vision for tomorrow.

Sometimes statements of mission or purpose are too long and boring. As a result, little attention is paid to them. If, on the other hand, they are brief, to the point and relevant, they can provide the focal point from which the organization can formulate policies. Freemasonry's purpose or "mission statement" might be somewhat like this:
We, the members of the Fraternity of Freemasons, without regard of Masonic rank or affiliation, bind ourselves in a spirit of Brotherhood one to another and to all people, wherever they may be, by:

Promoting and demonstrating the living of a moral and righteous life, treating all persons as equals in the sight of God;
Asserting that it is the privilege and prerogative of every individual to worship God, by whatever name he or she knows the Creator, according to the dictates of his or her own conscience;
Providing charitable or benevolent assistance where needs are not provided for by civil, secular, or religious programs;
Promoting patriotic loyalty to the legitimate government under whose jurisdiction an individual lives;
Encouraging individuals to take an active and impartial part in the civil and political affairs of their community, state, and nation;
Teaching, by means of ritual or ceremony, without religious or denominational interpretation, ethical truths, honorable virtues, and respectable morality.
It would be difficult, but not impossible, for Freemasonry to disseminate and implement such a mission statement—and it would require change. The vehicles for this are already in place in the United States: the Conference of Grand Masters, the Grand Lodges, the two Scottish Rite Jurisdictions, the General Grand Chapter, the General Grand Council, the Grand Encampment of Knights Templar, the Imperial Shrine, and the several Grand Bodies of the York Rite.
One change that would be required is a closer liaison and cooperation between the various Bodies, plus a more open mutual and public recognition of each other's existence. The concept held by some Masons, particularly those who have not advanced beyond the Master's Degree, that Freemasonry consists of only the Blue or Symbolic Lodge must be rectified. Freemasonry, if it is going to grow or just survive, must present a unified image to the general public, and it must let people know what it is, what it stands for, and what it does.

I do not claim to have the solutions to all or any of Freemasonry's problems, but I believe it must change. Change is not innovation, it is development. At this point in its history, Freemasonry has developed, by change, from a simple fraternity in the early 1700s in England to a complex worldwide system of related independent organizations, each with its own identifiable characteristics. I further believe that unified Freemasonry should be able to say, "I have changed, I am being changed, I will continue to change, but I will never abandon my mission."

Whatever Freemasonry becomes in the future depends upon what the Masons of today do or do not do. Will we do—or die?

paper by
William J. Malina
is a member of the Houston, Tex., Scottish Rite Bodies; member of J. W. Chandler Daylight Lodge No. 1452 and co-editor of the Lodge’s monthly news-letter; P.H.P. of Houston Chapter No. 488 R.A.M., Houston, Tex.; Prelate and a Past Commander of Houston Commandery No. 95 K.T. and editor of the Commandery’s newsletter, The York Rite Light; a member of Knight Masons; and a member of the Philalethes Society. He also is a member and a P.T.I.M. of Sam Houston Council No. 403, .&S.

Post Re: Freemasonry Needs Change 
>Is it realistic to expect Freemasonry and Masonic practices to remain the same for tomorrow as they are today?

My understanding is that before the use of KST, jewish traditions and the building metaphor, Masonry used the Lighthouse (Great Pyramid) and the brethren were Rays of Light.

Now we may be getting ready for another change of outer form. I suspect that if we do not then the next generation will see very few Masonic lodges.

>With membership in almost all Masonic Bodies declining, it is obvious that some of what has worked in the past is not working today.

Quite. The question is though, have lodges got worse at what they do or has the population become more demanding? I suspect the latter.

>What are the purposes of Freemasonry?

What is the work of the lodge open in the 3rd degree when there is no candidate? Few know and as a result lodges rarely open in the 3rd degree unless there is a candidate or installation.

> A familiar aphorism states that Freemasonry's purpose is "to make good men better."

If we compete with the humanitarian and religious organisations of the world then we have missed our purpose.

>"mission statement" might be somewhat like this:
We, the members of the Fraternity of Freemasons, without regard of Masonic rank or affiliation, bind ourselves in a spirit of Brotherhood one to another and to all people, wherever they may be, by:

Promoting and demonstrating the living of a moral and righteous life, treating all persons as equals in the sight of God;
Asserting that it is the privilege and prerogative of every individual to worship God, by whatever name he or she knows the Creator, according to the dictates of his or her own conscience;
Providing charitable or benevolent assistance where needs are not provided for by civil, secular, or religious programs;
Promoting patriotic loyalty to the legitimate government under whose jurisdiction an individual lives;
Encouraging individuals to take an active and impartial part in the civil and political affairs of their community, state, and nation;
Teaching, by means of ritual or ceremony, without religious or denominational interpretation, ethical truths, honorable virtues, and respectable morality. "

I think this still misses the purpose. Here we have a purpose statement suitable to those outside the temple. (And it is quite dubious that Masonry treats all persons as equals, based as it is on the written and oral traditions of a small national group and inheriting the exclusion of women)

>One change that would be required is a closer liaison and cooperation between the various Bodies,

It distresses me that Masonry has fragmented into so many Grand Lodges many of which do not recognise each other. It seems to me that only if a non-approved GL survives a century or more can it be recognised as legitimate. Is this a proper basis for brotherhood. The problem of course is that generally we are unable to discern if a GL is blessed by TGAOTU and thereby descend to legalisms.

>I do not claim to have the solutions to all or any of Freemasonry's problems, but I believe it must change.

Agreed. It is time to change form. And I suggest it is time to reach out to the millions who see stewardship of the Planet as more relevant than legends about a temple that may not have an historical basis

Best wishes

Russell Holland

Post A New Beginning? 
This short article is a reply to an email titled “Masonry is dead in the United States- How about a new beginning?”

Masonry is dead in US. A sad conclusion that could only come from someone who seems to be at loss of understanding of what the Craft is all about. A system whose aim is to make a good man to be a better man is not dead. What appears to be dying is the comprehension of who we are and what purpose does Masonry exists. It’s not about paid off dues card; it’s not about achieving “32nd degree,” not about making children laugh or about changing the world to New Order. It’s about building a temple not made by hands but eternal in Heaven. The journey will take us to a rough and rugged road; it’s not going to be easy. But on that journey it is hope that by becoming a better man we can influence our surrounding to make it a better place. Masonry teaches individual to be a better man. What an individual does after “learning all it can” is up to him. While the socio-economic concern of our brother is valid, with all the humility and brotherly love I could muster, I disagree with his conclusion, he is wrong. Masonry is not dead in US or in this World. It is alive and well, yes, it is facing other competition but then again that’s an old story since time immemorial.

Masonry is a system of morality, veiled in allegories and illustrated by symbols. Masonry is not about community service like Lions or Rotary Clubs; it is not about business development like local Chamber of Commerce; certainly not a specific religious denomination support group. While those endeavors are noble and worth of time, they are not the focus of the Fraternity. They are the result of ones understanding the lessons of Freemasonry. Someone said that the real secret of Freemasonry is making a good man a better man. Pretty nice bumper sticker but pretty much summarizes who were are.

Youth groups such Order Of DeMolay, International Order of Jobs Daughters, Rainbow Girls are always in need of adult supervision and more importantly—example. There is no reason to re-invent the wheel or “hire some writes and marketers and take the gangs off the streets and teach them those principles of Masonry we all love.”

A reminder of the EA Charge, “Finally, Be faithful to the trust committed to your care, and manifest your fidelity to your principles by a strict observance of the Constitution of the Fraternity; by adhering to the Ancient Landmarks thereof….”

S&F,
Rudy Olano

holland wrote:
>Is it realistic to expect Freemasonry and Masonic practices to remain the same for tomorrow as they are today?

Best wishes

Russell Holland

----------
Alkistis:
I am a woman architect and are many years now that my interrest on symbols has been turned to a study of history and meditation on the meanings. I would like to publish and to discuss, to teach and meditate in a group about this theme. I am not sure the actual freemasons are promoting such activities initiated by women, but i think they should give it a very serious consideration.
I like the religious tolerance and respect of personal views and practices on this subject. I think it is a great need of such attitude in our contemporary society as one meets often such half educated people, whose socialy experienced limits and envy to achieve more respectability pushes them to fanatic extremism and dengerous positions. And that applies equaly to members of moslem and christian institutions.

Last edited by Alkistis on Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

Alkistis wrote:

I am a woman architect and are many years now that my interrest on symbols has been turned to a study of history and meditation on the meanings. I would like to publish and to discuss, to teach and meditate in a group about this theme. I am not sure the actual freemasons are promoting such activities initiated by women,

Try me.

Best wishes

Russell
seagodz@yahoo.com

[quote="holland"]
Alkistis wrote:

I am not sure the actual freemasons are promoting such activities initiated by women,

Try me.

Best wishes

Russell
-----------------------
My answer:
Do you mean, if i send out a paper of my philosofical speculations about symbols on architectural facades, will be taken in consideration and eventually published here? I would like to know about making public a paper in this forum and in this review.
I am not a mason, but in more than 20 years i read some ooks of history of the freemaconry, books on Alchemy and books on symbols. In my age and with a little heart attack 3 years ago, i try to save my time to complete my actual work and in the between helping my partner older than me and with some fisical disability.
Still, in this restrained way of life, and not being able to work 8 hours a day on my project in the computer, i feel the need to comunicate to others, with others the thoughts and the visions i have. All the readings mentioned above and my own philosophical thought about these themes, are now included in a work that projects esoteric and dancing expression on baroque facades in Rome and S-E Sicily.
Also in this work (of 5 books), which i elaborate now on illustrated CD-ROMs, i am concrened, and try to prove them wrong, with the dogmatic thought of some catholic priests which are teaching that christian ideas and rituals have nothing to do with other and previous religons and mythologies in the Mediterranean and in what they call heathens and pagans. I show ther alchemic amalgamation and the fluid continuity.

Last edited by Alkistis on Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

[quote="holland"]
Alkistis wrote:

Try me.

Best wishes

Russell
seagodz@yahoo.com

I take seriously your launched chalenge and asking you questions. I do so as i am seriously thirsty of such a contact.
I spoke to a mason friend of my partner and his attitude (he is in his 80's) is really all about proving his male superiority. I find it negative and sterile. I have accademic education superior to his and i know that i meditated, philosophise, about many things much longer and deeper than many people around me, masons or not. He also was sarcastic, some year ago, when i told him i had in mind to present my work to the lodge of quator Coronati.

Last edited by Alkistis on Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Re: A New Beginning? 
rmolano wrote:
This short article is a reply to an email titled “Masonry is dead in the United States- How about a new beginning?”

Masonry is a system of morality, veiled in allegories and illustrated by symbols. Masonry is not about community service like Lions or Rotary Clubs; it is not about business development like local Chamber of Commerce; certainly not a specific religious denomination support group. While those endeavors are noble and worth of time, they are not the focus of the Fraternity. They are the result of ones understanding the lessons of Freemasonry. Someone said that the real secret of Freemasonry is making a good man a better man. Pretty nice bumper sticker but pretty much summarizes who were are.

S&F,
Rudy Olano

---------

It is indeed a wide spread opinion that now days, as opposed to the18th century, the majority of the freemasons, are very little interrested in philosophy and meditation built around the archetypals, the symbols.
The highest point of Morality is the Harmony in the Universe and education in music, with music is the highest education. Learning to achieve musical and architectural harmonies one comes a little bit nearer to the role of assistant of the Great Architect of the Universe. In lower level, one becomes quite unable of dangerous aggressions and criminality.
Meditatuing on the symbols brings these activities to a hole and round completion.
And that is what fascinates me in the masonic lodges, as i imagine them; i do not think exists any other place in our lives, where these procedures are taking place.

Last edited by Alkistis on Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total

[quote="Alkistis"]
holland wrote:
>I am a woman architect and are many years now that my interrest on symbols has been turned to a study of history and meditation on the meanings. I would like to publish and to discuss, to teach and meditate in a group about this theme. I am not sure the actual freemasons are promoting such activities initiated by women, but i think they should give it a very serious consideration.

Dear Friend,
please contact me by private email. I am really interested in reading your cdroms and possibly to publish some papers of yours online on PS Review of Freemasonry.
Traditionally Freemasonry, as practised under the United Grand Lodge of England, doesn't initiate women, but we really appreciate women studying our history and symbolism. For instance on PS Review of FM you read one book by a women about Russian Freemasonry. (it is in italian but in fall it will be published in english by a Dutch publisher)

regards Wink

Bruno Gazzo
editor
PS Review of Freemasonry

Alkistis wrote:

The highest point of Morality is the Harmony in the Universe and education in music, with music is the highest education. Learning to achieve musical and architectural harmonies one comes a little bit nearer to the role of assistant of the Great Architect of the Universe. In lower level, one becomes quite unable of dangerous aggressions and criminality.
Meditatuing on the symbols brings these activities to a hole coand round completion.
And that is what fascinates me in the maconic lodges, as i imagine them; i do not think exists any pther place in our lives that these procedures are taking place.

Alkistis

Masonry like most ritual-based organisations is facing a crisis.

One hand the brethren grow tired of empty recitation and on the other there is an increasing urgency in the human race to contact inner reality.

(I leave aside the question as to how the ritual has become empty)

This poses a challenge for all ritual-based organisations: How to ensure that the outer ritual is informed by an inner beingness that magnetises the brethren.

One of the ways forward you have already identified. Symbols when real are actually in themselves literal entry points to the inner worlds (heavenly mansion). This is felt but not really acted upon by many brethren.

You have also identified another way forward - or perhaps I should say - another facet of the same way - that is Morality.

It is widely said that Masonry is a System of Morality veiled in allegory. Now why should Morality be veiled from the brethren? Surely we would wish them to be moral?

The answer lies, I believe, in the word "system". That itself is an example of veiling in allegory.

The proper form is that Masonry is a Science of Morality. This takes us into a whole new endeavour where knowledge develops instruments and techniques able to operate at the level of consciousness and conscience.

One of these instruments is the use of symbols to change consciousness.

So, I await with interest what you have uncovered in the use of symbols.

Best wishes

Russell Holland
seagodz@yahoo.com

[quote="holland"]
Alkistis wrote:

Best wishes

Russell Holland
seagodz@yahoo.com

-------

Children and good actors are themselves in situations given and that is the secret of their success (as oposed of seeing from outside or trying to be someone else). Also, morality as well as for example its aspect of civic duties, are better assimilated through art rather than speaches; even better if the one that is invited to learn is participating in this work of art (better than seeing or reading)
And that should be appreciated when is offered.

----
Next week i will show you something of my work.
I thank you and the editor for your attention and positive anwers.
----
I try to fit in the thematic my compliments to Bruno Gazzo for the article on the gotic Cathedrals. I read often in the book by Guennon about symbols, and i learned there about the language of the birds. Indeed late medieval popular, anonymus poetry in Greece refers to birds (usually 3, like the three boys in Magic Flute) which are illumimnating and showing the path to the wanderer. But i did not know about the etymology of Gotic; Thank You!
----
Certainly such meditation and knowledge shared, is a good base as a change in the masonry and attractive to future and new members.

Last edited by Alkistis on Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:37 pm; edited 3 times in total

[quote="holland"]
Alkistis wrote:

and techniques able to operate at the level of consciousness and conscience.

One of these instruments is the use of symbols to change consciousness.

Best wishes

Russell Holland
seagodz@yahoo.com

------
For example what is trying to tell us the Archangel by Bernini on the baldachin in the basilika of St Peter's in Rome, in a body language like that of an apprentice in act of initiation?

One naked shoulder turning towards the oposit naked knee...
Try to repeat this movement our selves and we feel that we are approaching our fisical centre in our selves....
It is the first step to all knowledge.... It is the physical step of starting to know our selfs... the Gnwthei s'auton.

Marvelous! Bernini must have been initiated... with all those esoteric and early masonic schools and lodges in his Naple and then Rome....
----
One would appreciate other people... There are Angels, Transmiters of important Messangers:
A student ctor one day, the old juice teacher that not only speaks about Jung but let me see for the 1st time, a book on Ficino and Picco della Mirandola, The architect that is fanatic about 18th century, a dying priest, a fugitive piano teacher.... Given so much to me in return withmy childhood, with my youth, with my physical strength, gave back little imperceptible things. They do not belong alltogether in one organisation but they are all my Angels that put a signpost to my meditation, to my life.

[quote="pietre-stones"]
Alkistis wrote:
holland wrote:
>I am a woman architect and are many years now that my interrest on symbols has been turned to a study of history and meditation on the meanings. I would like to publish and to discuss, to teach and meditate in a group about this theme. I am not sure the actual freemasons are promoting such activities initiated by women, but i think they should give it a very serious consideration.

Dear Friend,
please contact me by private email. I am really interested in reading your cdroms and possibly to publish some papers of yours online on PS Review of Freemasonry.
Traditionally Freemasonry, as practised under the United Grand Lodge of England, doesn't initiate women, but we really appreciate women studying our history and symbolism. For instance on PS Review of FM you read one book by a women about Russian Freemasonry. (it is in italian but in fall it will be published in english by a Dutch publisher)

regards Wink

Bruno Gazzo
editor
PS Review of Freemasonry

Indeed, when i visited the granloge's museum in Covent Garden in London with my partner some guides, told us that i knew so much that i could have help him for his preparation... but, he has not in mind to preceed with it. To me they offered to work for the charities. So, whether one likes it or not, i continued and continue with my not only historical but my meditation on symbols, as created over the ages by the wised people all over the world and many of them have been adopted and re-elaborated in initiatic rituals of official free masons.
Now, after kindly conducted private emails with the honorable editor of this review, and fulishly having given away all the quintessence of my meditation on the symbols of two baroque facades and two sculptures. i read that the condensed article is not good enough but a more extended article on one of the churche might be sutisfactory. I think, i better publish on my own the whole work, as i have oprepare it, before other people take and use my ideas on which i worked so long and with great sacrifices not only mine but also of my partner who supprted me with such dedication on this work.
Another point isd, that through my style of education, with music and eurhythmic, and other kinds of dance, i propose in my book this playful way of learning. This is of course some miles away from the dry form of an informative documentary essay.

I will let you know when i have repared my other website, with thias story. the first one is only on our architectural projects. (delphi-design.co.uk) Again, if the editor would be hapy with a short form-article, i am very happy to have it published, as an article indeed and not a book.
Yours sincerely and friendly,
Alkistis

[quote="holland"]
Alkistis wrote:

Best wishes

Russell Holland
seagodz@yahoo.com

First i gave my explanation, as that of an aprentice at the beginning of his initiation, of the movement of the archangel by Bernini in the basilika odf St Peter's.
Now i give you and to the whole forum two points of the facade of St Andrea al Quirinale,in Rome also by Bernini.
The one is the conic pyramid, well known smasonic symbol, used as stairs at the facade. The other point are the various typs (three) of columns that are corresponding to the aprentice, the assistant and the master, which is the distilled style of ionic column.
voila, I am not given a space of a longer article, i take my right to write in the forum.
Yours,
Alkistis

-----
PS
I try now to find women masons in London on line. For the moment i only found historical paers of the university of Bradford. My partner said: opity works like Harry Potter found such support and their educational role can be put in some serious questioning - while other serious works and research all they egt is rejection. Any way, having the on line and own website possibility is of som comfort and frees the world from aggressions as resurlt of frustrations "No tu no!"

-----
My other supposition in my work "Contessina on the balcony" is in Book 3 and Book 5, regarding facade and statue of St George, 18th century Ragusa, by R.Gagliardi. I imagine that the facade is horizontaly divided in three areas, corresponding to the three Elements, Water, Fire and Air. The Element of Earth is behind the facade, in the church's navata. Earth is us that we are going Tto be illuminated and changed. Horizontally the facade is also divided tin three zones, corresponding to the three planets of Earth, Moon and Sun. At the cross point of teh facade between FIRE and MOON is the position of the MADONA. At the cross point of AIR and MOON, is the statue of St George. base, man, horse and dragon are all part of one symbol, one archetype.The Man, is the intellect and will, the horse is the strength and the dragon is the rough mater of each opf us, which through will and intellect, and with application of our strength has to be disciplined and put in the service of good causes.

-------

Today, 17th of July 2005
I read the article of the grand master about the disposition of the freemasons towards the catholic church.
First of all it gives me some joy to read that a priest is a freemason.
Then i also agree that it is not going far just trying to be, any cost, hostile towards the catholic church. But, if the attitude of the freemasons started changing, so they remain foundamnetal questions, regarding human society and problems of the human development and evolution, which would ask the catholic church to consider serious changes in its own rules.

Last edited by Alkistis on Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

[quote="pietre-stones"]
Alkistis wrote:
holland wrote:

Dear Friend,

regards Wink

Bruno Gazzo
editor
PS Review of Freemasonry

----
Alkistis: i would like to make clear that it is me, Alkistis that has written "I am a woman architect...etc" and not Holland

Last edited by Alkistis on Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next