MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
THE SERPENT IN MASONRY
Post THE SERPENT IN MASONRY 
What is the significance of the Serpent (in any connotation) as it relates to Freemasonry? I was asked this question and I don't know where to begin my research.

Post Re: THE SERPENT IN MASONRY 
smoke2212 wrote:
What is the significance of the Serpent (in any connotation) as it relates to Freemasonry? I was asked this question and I don't know where to begin my research.

I think that you might find serpents a mixed bag.

We have the evil serpent Apopis who appears to us as the King of Terrors to be trodden down with the left foot as in ancient egyptian times, and we have the biblical admonition to be as wise as serpents. But this was not the serpent in Genesis which talked and in jewish traditions was punished by having his legs cut off.

Let me refer you to "Flying Serpents and Dragons" by Boulay for a substantial study of serpents in early human history and religion. Edition one is available online http://www.apollonius.net/boulay-index-en.html but you may be better reading the updated version available at Amazon.

Serpents are a mixed blessing in human history and even today appear in alien abduction accounts

Cheers

Russell

Quote:

I think the Serpent is a case of trying to invent some Masonic symbolism;
especially by the 'anti' lobby. The snake clasp on most of the Masonic Aprons is probably the use of an object used by manufacturers of articles of clothing - mostly military and perhaps schoolboys. I remember in England after the War, the elastic belt used on the school uniform was the same. I have looked through many of the old aprons I have in my collection and can see a variety of 'S' shapes and snake 'skins'.
There is only to ask as to 'when' the clothing manufacturers started this usage - at least from the early 1900's.
Saluti fraterni

smoke2212 wrote:

You can find some answers to some of your question in the
25th degree, AASR. (Knight Of The Brazen Serpent)

Nelson

PCnC McDonald Consistory 226
Bejilah Temple 166
United Supreme Council 33rd. AASR SJ (USA)
We can find the serpent in different degrees of the AASR: 17th degree (the serpent of the Apocalypse), 22th degree (in the version of Goblet d'Alviella: the serpent of the garden of Eden), the 25th degree (the only where the serpent is beneficial) end the 30th (the ouroboros).
So the serpent may have different significances.

[quote="smoke2212"]What is the significance of the Serpent (in any connotation) as it relates to Freemasonry? I was asked this question and I don't know where to begin my research.[/quote]

It depends on "what kind" of Freemasonry. I don't think there's a serpent in the Craft Masonry of the English-speaking Masonic world, but in the Scottish Rite there is the 25th Degree: Knight of the Brazen Serpent. In this degree, the serpent encircling the world is a symbol borrowed from a number of ancient teachings. It tells of a cyclical order to nature, a kind of "what goes around, comes around" belief in divine guidance.

Also, the serpent, thanks to its shedding of skin, is a symbol of immortality.

The use of the serpent, in combination with the cross as just one example, is explained in "Morals and Dogma" by Albert Pike:

"With the serpent, in the Ancient Monuments, is very often found associated the Cross. The Serpent upon a Cross was an Egyptian Standard. It occurs repeatedly upon the Grand Staircase of the Temple of Osiris at Philae; and on the pyramid of Ghizeh are represented two kneeling figures erecting a Cross, on top of which is a serpent erect. The 'Crux Ansata' was a Cross with a coiled Serpent above it; and it is perhaps the most common of all emblems on the Egyptian Monuments, carried in the hand of almost every figure of a Deity or Priest." [p. 502]

If you ever get a good look at a Scottish Rite Deputy's or Active's jewel, you'll see the main emblem surrounded by a circle. On closer inspection, you'll see that circle is actually the ourobouros: the snake with its tail in its mouth.

The most common use of a serpant in symbology is "knowledge". This may give some direction as to it's use in Freemasonry.

Why can we not go back to source material , namely the OT?

We have Moses casting his rod before Pharaoh it changing into a serpent which then devoured the the other magician's rods.
Until the serpent [ nachash] beguiled Eve it was considered a very important member of Gods Edenic enclave.
It suffered punishment because of food [ fruit of tree of knowledge] and lack of respect for God

Quote:
"Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to you; and you shall eat the herb of the field. In the sweat of your face shall you eat bread, till you return to the ground; for out of it you were taken; for dust you are, and to dust shall you return." (Genesis 3:18-19)

Man is made of both spiritual and physical components, the soul and the body. In Eden man's food was pure - closer to the spiritual despite its physical nature.

And this brings me to the other incident>
In the desert man again received food which was pure - direct from heaven. Now we understand that the rejection of this food brought us face to face with the serpent of old.Rejection of the manna, brought death from poisonous snakes.

It is interesting that the snake which appeared and attacked the Israelites after they denigrated the Divine food, crawls on its belly in the dust - all of its food tasting like the dust. And dust is the destination of failed man when forced to submit to the final surrender - death

Quote:
And the Lord said to Moses, "Make a venomous serpent, and set it upon a pole; and it shall come to pass, that everyone who is bitten, when he looks upon it, shall live." And Moses made a serpent of copper, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he looked at the serpent of copper, he lived. (Numbers 21:8-9)

Looking at the snake of copper was meant to remind man of the post-Eden choice and reality.This was the "magical" ability of the copper snake - a conduit which brought the Jews in touch with choice and therefore God. When Israel turned their thoughts above and subjected their hearts to their father in heaven, they were healed, but otherwise they pined away.

. Healing took place along with the recognition that humanity has the ability to choose between weapons and food - death and life, both God given.

Thus the worldwide sign today of snake +rod for the medical profession which should remind everyone , let alone a mason. that healing comes from God through the hands ofa physician!!

The snake buckle is used on the style of Apron used by UGLE and old British style constitutions such as New Zealand and Australia. I don't know whether it is used on any other designs of Aprons . It has absolutely no symbolism in Craft Freemasonry, it is merely the style of buckle selected by the regalia manufacturers and is in common use other than in Freemasonry.

However, no doubt Brethren with lively imaginations will attempt to apply some sort of symbolism to it.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1