MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Da Vinci Code--The Movie
Post Da Vinci Code--The Movie 
As the movie Da Vinci Code was released today, people here in US are exercising their rights to see and oppose the movie. As I mentioned in my previous post, a genre was born to refute Dan Brown's book which we all know is a NOVEL. It is not surprising to note that some marketing savvy individuals and companies capitalized Brown's success or controversy to advance their own bottom line and/or agenda. The latest of this dismal stunt can be viewed in an article "For Immediate Release, Young Free-Masons Forms New Grand Lodge" by Jeff Price. The title could be might as well as "Young Free-Masons Form Their Own Grand Lodge."

The obvious targets are the young viewers who might get a grin on the old-man-with-coffee-and-doughnut routine. The news release line was to suggest that the Free-Masons portrayed in the Da Vinci Code movie are real and can be found in "United Grand Lodge of America." Despite of ala-1960's Woodstock era slogan, Peace, Love and Harmony the article offers, a visit to their website would make one to pause as the use of words showed contempt against the traditional Grand Lodges which most of us belong.

For a group that call themselves members of the Rite of Golden Cross of Rose who can't understand why a Grand Lodge would declared their assembly to be "clandestine" and eventually expelled, it is somewhat surprising considering the strategy of using the very recent Hollywood movie. People with some background in history, marketing and advertising are not slow to see the advantages of what Don Brown book generated. Instead of using their talents to work within the system which some of the readers can vouch for, these "Young Free-Masons" decided to go on their own and burned the bridges after they crossed. Sad picture indeed but not an original attempt in the long history of our Craft.

As a brother suggested, not because our vote is a on the losing side, it is contrary to the good of the Order to form our own Grand Lodge. And for "Young Free-Masons With a New Grand Lodge," if I may recommend to go ahead and read Freemasonry for Dummies, it is popular and someone mentioned that there are enough materials in there to come out better than when you started.

on the level,
by the plumb,
upon the Square.

F/

19May06

Excuse me brother, but, who were suppose to be freemasons in the movie? I don´t remember seeing anyone who was portraid as a freemason in the movie, but I could be wrong, I was bored with the movie so perhaps I wasn´t putting enough attention.
If I remember correctly, freemasonry is mentioned in the book (I didn´t like the book at all, I found Dan Brown a bad novelist, but that is just my opinion, diversity makes the world a great place, how dull if everyone liked the same things) when they arrived at Roslyn Chappel, he even explains the two pillars, but on the movie there was no freemasonry connection on the scene of Roslyn Chappel, I could be wrong brother, that´s why I´m posting, to see if I miss the freemasonry part of the movie.

Let me defer your question to the author of the article I am responding to, “Young Free-Masons Forms New Grand Lodge" ---Jeff Peace. I have not seen the movie or read the book but I did read the Holy Blood Holy Grail which was supposed to be the basis of the Da Vinci Code novel. The article was released on the day the movie was shown world-wide and while it maybe a coincidence, it is the message of the "Young Free-masons" I am in disagreement. The boldness and openness of the attack against the traditional or mainstream Freemasonry were not uncommon but coming from within is something I cant just let go by without saying something. It is interesting to note the passion of our misguided brothers as a number of them sent me their personal one-liners. Equally disappointing was the support from a PM rationalizing the history of breakaway Grand Lodges were natural occurrences and planted an idea that revolution is a justification for a change. As usual, just like after the release of National Treasure there is a visible spike of interest in our Craft which will ebb down after a little while and those who believed from the propaganda of the leaders of "Young Free-Masons" will relearn the one of lesson of marble monument--- time, patience and perseverance will accomplish all things.

on the level,
by the plumb,
upon the square.

F/

Is this new Grand Lodge trying to do in the USA something close to what the so call "Regular Grand Lodge of England" is doing in Great Britain? If I´m not mistaken, they have even charter a few Grand Lodges in the US.

Regularity is a touchy topic, for example I´m a meber of a lodge in the Orient of Monterrey in Mexico, we have mutual recognition with many Grand Lodges around the world, all the US and Canadian Grand Lodges, the South American Grand Lodges, European Grand Lodges, etc, etc, etc, but we don´t recognise the Grand Lodge of Valley of Mexico, the majority of the Grand Lodges in Mexico and many in different countries don´t recognise them, when I had to live a couple of years in Mexico City I couldn´t go to any of the lodges, they were iregular according to our Grand Lodge, fortunately there is a Grand Lodge with only 7 lodges, they were charter by a US Grand Lodge and have mutual recognition with every Grand Lodge in Mexico exept Valley Of Mexico. My point is, that 10 years ago, Valley Of Mexico had the mutual recognition of everyone, know they are irregular, but some Grand Lodges in Mexico and in the US still recognise them as regular freemasons, the same happens for example in the US with the Prince Hall Grand Lodges.

Without being aware of what the RGLE intentions or motivation, I will therefore, not even try to hazard my opinion on their issue. Having visited the UGLA website and read their manifesto, permit me to quote from the concluding chapter of Les Origins de la Franc-maconnerie: Le secre et le métier by Paul Naudon, translated by Jon Graham as The Secret History of Freemasonry; Its Origins and Connection to the Knight Templar.

“Let us not speak of the well-meaning men who introduce themselves into the most reliable lodges with the expressed desire to share with brothers of good will the pure and laudable tradition, but who conceal their true desire to destroy the institution by deforming it, opening it up to unjustified attacks, emptying it of its historical and initiatory content. These infiltrations are not new. We have already seen the distortion of major symbols, displayed before public opinion like trophies.
Without a healthy reaction on its behalf, Freemasonry will leave itself open, without most of its brothers even grasping why, to some fairly rude shock before being consigned to the museum of history.”

Each Grand Lodge is a sovereign in their own territory. They could declare gray as black or orange as red and there is nothing other Grand Lodges could do--except withdraw their "recognition." As the Brotherly Love is an important tenet in our Fraternity, not being recognized is one is the things each Grand Lodge wants to avoid. Politics are being played at Grand Lodges level vastly different from were are--- down the weeds.

It is possible that the allegations of the breakaways have merits but who can show us a perfect operating Grand Lodge govern by perfect Grand Master except the Grand Lodge where the Supreme Grand Master of the Universe forever presides? Who? What makes the leaders of "Young Free-Masons" think that certain "corrupt" Grand Lodge can be replaced by a "United Grand Lodge of America?" Would it be sensible to challenge the "corrupt" Grand Lodge in their own territory or state instead of claiming the whole country? And in the words of a brother,--- “it seems like a little bit presumptuous?"

We have read and seen it before, young upstarts full of vinegar, ready to take on the world, a world encumbered by elderly has-beens, eager neophytes who thought their way or highway and misled by talented but hollow pipers. Sad picture indeed but a reality. There is a lesson in our Craft illustrated by the marble monument--- that time, patience and perseverance will accomplish all things.

on the level,
by the plumb,
upon the Square.

F/

I have not yet seen the movie, and I became bored with the book. What the spate of conspiracy theories were to the 90s, "DaVinci Code" and other works of this genre is to our times.

I am an example of a "younger" Mason who has not fallen prey to the UGLA and other marketing gimmicks. Whatever beefs I may have had with my former lodge were simply solved: I joined another lodge where other young brothers are "challenging" the "system". So far, we've learned two things: A) the sky is the limit, and b) (you'll like this one, rmolano) that "time, patience and perseverance will accomplish all things". We can already see progress. Our trestle board is overloaded! Yet we tell EACH prospective candidate what they will NOT find in Masonry. They WON'T find instant magical power or instant knowledge of the mysteries of the universe, or a seat in the halls of some secret power structure; neither shall they find that anything is given to them which they do not first actively seek themselves.

As for the UGLA, they weren't the first such organization, and they won't be the last. The Grand Lodge of the State of New York certainly isn't perfect, but neither is it a great immovable obstacle (which is how some brothers seem to see it). The GL of the State of NY, however, is REGULAR and has been so for 225 years. If we regular masons care (and we DO), it will live to see its 500th anniversary and beyond.

Organizations such as the UGLA and the RGLE exist as often as moneymaking scams as anything else. Bro. King's site "Anti-Masonry: Points of View" has a LOT of info on these latest clandestine organizations. Check it out if you haven't already done so!

Forest Hills Community Lodge No. 946
Queens, NYC, New York

Scottish Rite Valley of Long Island
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1