MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
PURSUIVANT - THE INNER GUARD
Post PURSUIVANT - THE INNER GUARD 
Brethren,
In the Oxford English Dictionary one finds that the Pursuivant is a Junior heraldic officer; a State messanger; a follower, an attendant.
Partridge's etymological dictionary indicates that the word derives from Early Modern French (1500-1700) "poursuivant" originally the present particle of 'poursuivre'.
The Inner Guard in England was first mentioned by that name in the 1815 Book of Constitutions, yet I believe that the Grand Tyler was known as the Grand Pursuivant from 1833 to 1839. However, in the 1847 edition of the Book of Constitutions the office of Grand Pursuivant is described as 'to preside over the brethren nominated to attend within the porch of the Grand Lodge'.
How did the name 'Pursuivant' become attached to English Grand Lodge Freemasonry, whilst in Lodge he is just an Inner Guard, and does the Pursuivant exist in other Grand Lodges?
Fraternal Greetings.

In York Rite according to Webb is used workman - Junior Deacon. He is a messanger.

I refer Bro. Pyramid to the the AQC Volume 83 for the year 1970, page 374.

The first mention of "Pursuivant" in Grand Lodge records seems to be on the 1st April 1752 at a meeting of a lodge of the "Antients" at the Griffin Tavern in Holborn London where the "Pursuivant", a Bro. Lilley, is mentioned. Interestingly enough, this is only one year after the Grand Lodge of the Antients was formed, and I am certain they did not pull the job out of the air !

The "Inner Guard" does not exist in many American Jurisdictions, his role is filled by the Junior Deacon. This is certainly the case in my "Home" jurisdiction, the MWPHGL of the Bahamas. It certainly was only regularised in England in 1826 or so.

With kind fraternal regards,

Doug Banin

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1