MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Square and Compasses With an A In the Middle
Post Square and Compasses With an A In the Middle 
I saw on someone's car the square and compasses with an A in the middle instead of the G. I can find no references to why there would be an A. Can anyone shed some light on that for me? And before you can ask, it was most definitely the masonic square and compasses and not the carpenter's union or something which "may" have been the square and compasses. My guess is that the A is actually the same as the G but from a different language. God and Geometry are English words after all. What do the French, German's, Italian's, etc. have in the middle of their square and compasses? Or is the G universal?

Post a guess 
I am no authority on things Masonic but.....

A for Architect?

A for Allah?

Just a thought. Idea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah

Allah (Arabic: اللّٰه, Allāh) is the standard Arabic word for "God". The term is best known in the West for its use by Muslims as a reference to God.[1] Arabic-speakers of all faiths, including Christians and Jews, use the word "Allah" to mean "God".[2] The Muslim and Christian Arabs of today have no other word for 'God' than 'Allah'.[3] In pre-Islamic Arabia, Allah was used by pagan Meccans as a reference to the creator-god, possibly the supreme deity.[4]

In Islam, Allah is the only deity, transcendent creator of the universe, and the judge of humankind.[1][5] Some Islamic scholars believe that the term "Allāh" should not be translated, arguing that "Allāh" as used in Islam is a special and glorified term whose use should be preserved, while God can also be used in reference to deities worshiped by polytheists.

Personaly, I never saw a A in the middle of the square and compasses: I think it is always a G in european lodges... and that G is universal in masonry.

The square and compasses are not unique to Freemasonry, as I understand it.
It could belong to some other organisation.

Post Clandestine Masonic License Plates 
The Grand Lodge of South Carolina has a posting regarding clandestine lodges using the square and compass on license plates recently approved by the state D.M.V.

Here is the post: http://www.scgrandlodgeafm.org/

It doesn't mention anything about an 'A', however it is obvious that more and more fraudulent orders are cropping up and they are using license plates to confuse the public and or attempt to legitimize their organization thru the use of our ancient symbols.

I spent 45 minutes of google research to no avail to find one with an 'A' and could not locate the source.

Masonic Internet Resources - Global Lodge Directory
G in the middle of the Compass and Square Symbol Set is also used in Europe, no matter the language.

For instance I live in Romania and that is the case here.

I'm quite sure it's not A but @. We here in Finland have a Masonic discussion forum like this called Nettimuurarit ("The Net Masons"), and its emblem is the square and compasses with @ instead of G. We don't have any car stickers but we have pins with this emblem. It seems more than possible that we are not alone, that there are "net Masons" with the same emblem also elsewhere in the world.

G is universal, but in many countries like by us it's very common to use the square and compasses with G, in some countries it is not so much in use. The word God does not begin with G in our language, but our ritual says first that the G stands for Geometry (which in most languages begins with G). When you get more light in our ritual, you'll learn that in addition to Geometry, G also refers to the one who has created Geometry, to the Great Architect of the Universe. I think it would be too simple, say, "non-Masonic", if it were just an "initial" of God.

S&F,

Juhana Hame
Tellus Lodge No 81
Finland

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1