MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Psychology of Freemasons
Post Psychology of Freemasons 
On another forum that I frequent, someone asked if there were any books out there on the psychology of Freemasons.

I have to admit that beyond the pamphlets that speak to the high moral, ethical, and civic standards of those who become Masons, I have never encountered one.

Have any of you?

What do you want tell for psychology of Fremasons?

I have no agenda, simply a desire for accurate knowledge. Do you know of a book or article?

Your question still too generic.
I am sociologist and also psycologist.
1) We, freemasons, are persons like all others. Our psycology is the same of no freemasons
But I think you are thinking about some other thing.
2) May be you are thinking individually or you think about the Freemasonry. how group or as form of association?
Or you think about the forms of relationships among people inside the lodges or to the relationship among the Freemasons and those people that are not Freemasons?

What?
Which questions are you doing to yourself?

Bro. Francesco

In the Craft, there is frequent discussion regarding the improvement of moral character brought about by belonging to Masonry. The virtues of Freemasons is another topic that gets aired.

Is there any common factor in the psychologies of individuals , or groups of Masons that produces phenomena such as these? What about other aspects of character that Masons believe are part of the fraternity?

Is there anything that is statistically more likely among Masons?

Is there any actual research? Do we have any evidence or is it just supposition?

The freemasonry is not a club, like the Rotary or Lion.
I know that the American and English freemasonry are very careful to the Charity, to the life of group, to the historical studies and partly also to those esoteric. I believe that the Freemasonry is a very different thing from a simple club of men.
I have not found important studies on the philosophy, on the ethics and moral, etc in the documents of the Anglo-Saxon freemasonry.
The freemasonry is an iniziatic society. In other terms it is a society that looks at the spiritual life of the man, no religious life.
I have never felt to speak of studies on the psychology of the freemason or the freemasonry. And I believe that it's impossible to write a book of this type. It would be as to write the psychology of the Protestant or of mechanical workers.
The freemason is a man that has a great ideal and has the aspiration to the elevation of his spirit. It isn't a psychological thing. Every freemason follows his way of improvement with his personal abilities and his personal character and personality. The 2 most important characters to stay in fraternity are the solidarity and tolerance.
I think that it is the paradox of freemason way, to go alone enter a group (lodge).
ciao Very Happy

I don't think you'll find any clinical research on any group of Masons. If your question is of a philosophical nature, I recommend to you the books by W. Kirk MacNulty. He rightly describes Masonic thought as a "God-centered psychology," and he draws from the symbolism and ritual of the Craft degrees to support that thesis. Very highly recommended to all.

Happy New Year!

I think this question was answered over 100 years ago ...

The 'common factor' can be found in the statement below.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you see a man who quietly and modestly moves in the sphere of his life; who, without blemish, fulfils his duty as a man, a subject, a husband and a father; who is pious without hypocrisy, benevolent without ostentation, and aids his fellowman without self-interest; whose heart beats warm for friendship, whose serene mind is open for licensed pleasures, who in vicissitudes does not despair, nor in fortune will be presumptuous, and who will be resolute in the hour of danger; The man who is free from superstition and free from infidelity; who in nature sees the finger of the Eternal Master; who feels and adores the higher destination of man; to whom faith, hope and charity are not mere words without any meaning; to whom property, nay even life, is not too dear for the protection of innocence and virtue, and for the defense of truth; The man who towards himself is a severe judge, but who is tolerant with the debilities of his neighbour; who endeavours to oppose errors without arrogance, and to promote intelligence without impatience; who properly understands how to estimate and employ his means; who honours virtue though it may be in the most humble garment, and who does not favour vice though it be clad in purple; and who administers justice to merit whether dwelling in palaces or cottages.

The man who, without courting applause, is loved by all noble-minded men, respected by his superiors and revered by his subordinates; the man who never proclaims what he has done, can do, or will do, but where need is will lay hold with dispassionate courage, circumspect resolution, indefatigable exertion and a rare power of mind, and who will not cease until he has accomplished his work, and then, without pretension, will retire into the multitude because he did the good act, not for himself, but for the cause of good! If you, my Brethren meet such a man, you will see the personification of brotherly love, relief and truth; and you will have found the ideal of a Freemason.

— The History of Freemasonry by Otto Klotz : March 15, 1868.

Masonic Internet Resources - Global Lodge Directory
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1