MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
What is a Freemason?
Post What is a Freemason? 
This question may sound funny considering the amount of information floating around in cyberspace and in your local libraries and bookstores. What i am asking is what do the Freemasons want in there recruits. I have read a lot about the first degree and what is required to a certain extent but there is very little out there directed at the young questioning soul looking for answers.

What i want to know and i am sure a fair amount of other young men are looking into Freemasonry and wondering "am i good enough". What do i need to be to be accepted into this fraternal organization. What can i add to your organization. How can i be a healthy contributing member of your masonic lodge. how can i make it my lodge. These are the kind of questions among many that run through my mind in the course of the day. Since i started to look into Freemasonry i have had so many questions but the biggest most pressing question i have had is my first one "Am i good enough". I wish there was a cut and dry list of requirments that said you requir a-z. But there isn't anything there. Lots of info but nothing directly towards young men like myself that are looking to Freemasonry. But til there is one can anyone help me and all the others out there looking for guidance.

I must admit from what i see i think i am ready to ask for entrance. Freemasonry , forgive the saying, it sings to me. The basic tenents of freemasonry are so appealing and make so much sense that i want to be apart of it. I am 29 and there are a lot of my generation that would look at me funny since i am thinking so seriously on this subject. Forgive me but most of my generation and myself up until about 2 months ago saw Freemasonry as some mysterious group of old men secretly meeting and ploting world domination. Like i said many of my generation have no idea what freemasonry is about. I think i can help change this. I already have so many ideas on how this can be changed. But that is for the future. In the meantime thanks for all the help you can give me. Anything relating to this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Post RE: Who Are We 
The following comment was my response to an article titled Who Are We by unknown author. I pasted it here for the benefit of our young man's questioning soul.

WHO ARE WE

The article brought out a fundamental question that had been asked since time immemorial. Who are we? The author's real question to the readers was that do we know what Freemasonry is really all about. For what purpose it exist? Who are we? The article's last paragraph offers good and timely suggestions and should be good enough to satisfy normal and curious person. The piece offers adequate and standard explanation of the Fraternity however; its explanation is obviously directed to the non-masons.

Being a member of the Craft, we could ask ourselves, what are some of the specific lessons or Mysteries we study in the Lodge? We all know the mystic ceremonies that were regularly developed and illustrated. They are intended and hoped to make a deep and lasting impression to our mind. But let's not talk in general terms and instead identify a specific example.

In one of the lectures, our attention is especially directed to the study of Geometry. As one and the most important of the seven liberal arts and sciences, Geometry treats of the power and properties in magnitude in general. This science enabled the architects, generals, engineers, geographers and astronomers to do their job.

A non Fellow Craft Mason will read and understand that the previous paragraph is about angles, measurements, and numbers. By knowing the formula to calculate the hypotenuse, a strong and well designed superstructure can be constructed. But for those who have already passed through a long aisle or porch, the letter "G" stands for more important implication. It is not tremendously difficult to correlate the Geometry materials mentioned in the lecture with the real meaning of "G." A point is the beginning of all geometrical matters. From a point to a line, from a line to..., etc. Without basic understanding of the science of Geometry, construction of stellar edifices is not possible. If one does not recognized his Creator, building one's temple not made by hands but eternal in Heaven is also an unattainable. This is only a fraction of the Lessons or Mysteries of Freemasonry.

Masonry is a system of morality, veiled in allegories and illustrated by symbols. Masonry is not about community service like Lions or Rotary Clubs; it is not about business development like local Chamber of Commerce; certainly not a specific religious denomination support group. While those endeavors are noble and worthy of time, they are not the focus of the Fraternity. They are the result of ones understanding the lessons of Freemasonry. Someone said that the real secret of Freemasonry is making a good man a better man.

Who are we? I would like to leave that question not for friends, neighbors or business associates but for us--- the members of the Craft.

Post On Being a Freemason 
What happens at a lodge meeting?
The meeting is in two parts. As in any association there is a certain amount of administrative procedure - minutes of last meeting, proposing and balloting for new members, discussing and voting on financial matters, election of officers, news and correspondence. Then there are the ceremonies for admitting new Masons and the annual installation of the Master and appointment of officers. The three ceremonies for admitting a new Mason are in two parts - a slight dramatic instruction in the principles and lessons taught in the Craft followed by a lecture in which the candidate's various duties are spelled out.

Isn't ritual out of place in modern society?
No. The ritual is a shared experience which binds the members together. Its use of drama, allegory and symbolism impresses the principles and teachings more firmly in the mind of each candidates than if they were simply passed on to him in matter-of-fact modern language.

Why do grown men run around with their trousers rolled up?
It is true that candidates have to roll up their trouser legs during the three ceremonies when they are being admitted to membership. Taken out of context, this can seem amusing, but like many other aspects of Freemasonry, it has a symbolic meaning.

Why do you wear regalia?
Wearing regalia is historical and symbolic and, like a uniform, serves to indicate to members where they rank in the organisation.

How much does it cost to be a Freemason ?
It varies from lodge to lodge but anyone wishing to join can find a lodge to suit his pocket. On entry, there is an initiation fee and an apron to buy. A member pays an annual subscription to his lodge which covers his membership and the administrative cost of running the lodge. It is usual to have a meal after the meeting; the cost of this can be included either in the annual subscription or paid for at the time. It is entirely up to the individual member what he gives to Charity, but it should always be without detriment to his other responsibilities. Similarly, he may join as many lodges as his time and pocket can allow as long as it does not adversely affect his family life and responsibilities.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1