MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Proving Prof. in the 2nd -Additional Questions
Post Proving Prof. in the 2nd -Additional Questions 
Greetings Brethren,

In South Australia regular ritual the questions for proving proficiency in the 2nd degree (to gain entry into the 3rd) are few.

However the WM says that these are the 'usual questions' and he will ask any additional questions if any Brother desires it.

I want to be asked additional questions when my 3rd degree raising comes up this August. It is not common here but does happen and some Lodges have a tradition of asking additional questions.

I am currently working to dig up some 'Ye Olde Ritual' to find some questions that are not asked any more.

Do you have some sugestions?
I am particularly interested in additional questions relating to Geometry.

Help a Brother out?

As these questions between the various degrees are really all that is left of the Lectures, I suggest you have a look at the Second Lecture - there are five Sections and pick one or two more of your liking. There are some with very long answers; you could shock everyone by choosing one of those!!

As to Geometry, the fifth of the L A & S, you may find what you are looking for at the beginning of the Second Section of the Second Lecture. Have fun!

Post Re: Proving Prof. in the 2nd -Additional Questions 
"I am currently working to dig up some 'Ye Olde Ritual' to find some questions that are not asked any more.

Do you have some sugestions?
I am particularly interested in additional questions relating to Geometry."

Dear Bro.Anton,

You are the one who is going to be asked the "questions" . Do you propose to ask yourself some more questions on the evening ?

I admire your enthusiasm, and hope you will be able to sustain it in the years to come. There is a world of fascinating knowledge to be had in Freemasonry, and the more you learn the more interesting it becomes. Look beyond the "Ritual" and the "social" bit !

As it happens, there are some real Masonic "powerhouses" in your part of the world, and some of the leading research lodges are to be found in your area. Seek them out !

Regards,

Lobbus.

To Plumb, thanks for your help.
You may be interested to know that in Australia we still do the three tracing board lectures.
http://www.bradford.ac.uk/webofhiram/?section=lectures_craft
(ie. these ones)

Actually I just found some excellent additional questions on aforementioned site!
Very Happy

To Lobbus, a good point.

The additional questions are going to be a setup. It's all rigged. I confess.
Smile

Additional questions are quite unconventional here so I have to push for them to get any. To keep everything flowing nicely it is going to be rehersed. I am actually literally going to practice the 'usual' and 'additional' questions at the rehersal this month.

I decided to run it all past my DC (for approval) in order to not ruffle any feathers.
It's all about harmony and tact.

I guess I wouldn't mind a random question flying out of left-field.
Perhaps I will provoke one.

Thanks for your encouragement,

Br Anton

"Left Field" ? I thought you were in Australia !

Surely you mean "Deep Mid-Off " !!!

Sacrilege ! Off with his head ! Smile

Regards,

Lobbus.

To Plumb, thanks for your help.
You may be interested to know that in Australia we still do the three tracing board lectures.
http://www.bradford.ac.uk/webofhiram/?section=lectures_craft
(ie. these ones)

Well there you are then, right at the beginning of Section 2 of the Second Lecture. That is what I meant.

Post Questions Chosen 
I like these two:

A - A science whereby we find out the contents of bodies unmeasured by comparing them with those already measured.

A - Geometry, the first and noblest of sciences, is the basis on which the superstructure of Masonry is erected. By Geometry we may curiously trace nature through her various windings to her most concealed recesses. By it we may discover the power, wisdom, and goodness of the Grand Geometrician of the Universe, and view with amazing delight the beautiful proportions which connect and grace this vast machine. By it we may discover how the planets move in their different orbits, and mathematically demonstrate their various revolutions. By it we may rationally account for the return of seasons, and the mixed variety of scenes which each season produces to the discerning eye. Numberless worlds are around us, all formed by the same Divine artist, which roll through the vast expanse, and are conducted by the same .unerring law of nature. While such objects engage our attention, how must we improve, and with what grand ideas must such knowledge fill our minds! It was a survey of nature, and an observation of her beautiful proportions, which first induced men to imitate the Divine plan, and study symmetry and order. This gave rise to society, and birth to every useful art. The architect began to design and the plans which he laid down having been improved by time and experience, have produced some of those excellent works which have been the admiration every age.

That last Q & A appeals to me immensely!

I had better get practicing.

Anton

Every good wish in your endeavour. That will wake them up in the back row! Laughing

Post Questions not approved in South Australia? 
Information from one knowledgable Brother here in SA indicates that the aditional questions I have uncovered are probably from the 'Emulation Lodge of Instruction' ritual.

Therefore not part of the approved ritual of South Australia & the Northern Territory.

I am going to consult our GL Ritual & Procedures Committee.

Perhaps I can find some 'deep' Q&A material on the subject of Geometry that is approved for use in South Australia SOMEWHERE.

I will head into our GL Library tomorrow and have a scrounge.

Post DIPLOMA OF MASONIC EDUCATION 
I have just taken the time to visit the Aus masonic webpage, and being from the uk, I was shocked and suprised to find the DIPLOMA OF MASONIC EDUCATION available to you. Is this something that is normally partaken by Aus Brothers? I wonder if our own GL has anything like this on offer. I have only just started my journey into masonic learning, (i am going to Fellowcraft in sep) and have been amazed at the extent of peoples knowledge in all things masonic.

I did get myself a copy of Turning Hirams key, but after my initiation to become an EA and remembering how much this night effected me, i found myself stopping at the chapter that began to inform the reader of the raising to the next degree. So having a Diploma that offers the knowledge and teachings of the past appeals to me greatly.

Sorry if i have taken this off topic!

Bro Childs

Information from one knowledgable Brother here in SA indicates that the aditional questions I have uncovered are probably from the 'Emulation Lodge of Instruction' ritual.

To cut a long story short, this system of lectures was developed by William Preston from about 1772 onwards and are included in his Illustrations of Masonry. They are not the 'property' of the Emulation Lodge of Improvement. That Lodge has, from its formation in 1823, rehearsed them and continue doing so to this day. I understand that they do them, turn about, every Friday. That Lodge has published a book containing the Lectures but because they describe the ritual of the degrees in some detail, their book ensures that those parts agree with their own degree working.

If it were to be said that there is any ownership in the Lectures, I think it would be that of Freemasonry as a whole. It would therefore be in the gift of any Lodge to make what adjustments are necessary for the same sort of agreement.

Jamesch wrote:
I was shocked and suprised to find the DIPLOMA OF MASONIC EDUCATION available to you. Is this something that is normally partaken by Aus Brothers? I wonder if our own GL has anything like this on offer.

One of the most prestigious centres for Masonic research in a social context is the Dougls Knoop Centre at Sheffield University where degree courses are available. Check out: http://freemasonry.dept.shef.ac.uk/index.php?q=about_1. Strange as it may seem to some, the research facility and centre were the brain-child of a non-Mason, Prof. Andrew Prescott.

Post Success 
Well I found what I was looking for and kept it within the SA & NT Prescribed Ritual.

My additional question was "What is the moral significance of the Square?"
The answer is of course in the 2nd degree Working Tools.

Very appropriate given that in the 'usual' proving questions one is asked "What is the Square?"
I chose it myself.

So I answered my 'usual' questions and then my 'additional' (pre-planned) question.
Good delivery, word perfect etc.

But it seemed that I had opened a pandora's box when a visiting Brother stood up and asked a second additional question. One that I had not pre-planned myself. I realised that I had opened the floodgates and braced for an obscure question that would be beyond me and would leave egg on my face.

Not so.
I was asked "Which pillar was to the North and which pillar to the South?"
My hand was forced and I either had to take sides or confess that I didn't know.

I took sides (based on much study and consideration).
I was EXTREMELY pleased to be asked an additional question that I had not been pre-warned of and to be able to confidently answer.

And such a question too!

I couldn't be more content.
Not to mention the 50 esteemed visitors and the Lodge room packed to the brim with 99 Brethren. 7.5L of Scotch Whisky managed to be consumed in the festive board and much happiness was communicated.

What a night!

Exclamation

(based on much study and consideration)

Is that another way of say you 'guessed'!! Twisted Evil

I'm sure not. Well done indeed - you may have set something in motion there, which sounds most welcome. Congratulations on your bravery in front of so many - and on achieving that degree!

If you continue at this rate you will go far in the Masonic world.

Just a gentle world of caution though, nobody likes a "Smart Alec" , so I would temper your enthusiasm with a modicum of humility and never "flaunt" your knowledge in front of Brethren who may not have such a depth of Masonic wisdom as yourself, it only generates resentment. The annals of Freemasonry are littered with stories about very knowledgeable brethren who were a little too bumptious and found themselves permanently on the "fringes".

By the way, the reason Prof. Prescott is not a Mason is that he is an avowed atheist, and is not prepared to be a hypocrite. A suitable candidate for the GOF perhaps ?

Regards,

Lobbus.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next