MASONIC FORUM - Freemasons for Freemasonry - Year 2013 Forum Index
PS Review of Freemasonry
PS Review of Freemasonry Alerts are email updates of the latest relevant news and papers published on this site
envelope Subscribe News by Email
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Shrinking Masonry...
As you might know (or not), in Belgium the non-regular freemasonry (if such ever exists???) largely outnumbers regular Freemasonry. I cannot of course tell you anything about the quality of work in those lodges, but as far as the regular lodges are concerned, there has always been a policy and tendancy to only recruit 'worthy' members. Opposite to the US, one normally does not ask to be one, but is asked by a member (or two). Next to this recruitment system, one stays at least during one full year an entered apprentice, same for the fellowcraft. So we do not hurry hurry in the blue degrees. This gives new Masons time to reflect and grow. Thirdly, we really focus on performing excellent rituals whereby there is the necessary masonic -esoteric- feeling. Four, our lodges are always small in numbers as to give everyone the opportunity to step into 'the line'. Next, in my own lodge, we regularly have instruction meetings for the entered apprentices, fellow craftsmen and even the master masons. I guess it's this mix of taking all things very seriously that keeps us small in number but where entered masons have no tendancy to leave. Only few do, and mainly for non-masonic reasons. It's really great to read your messages and to learn how things go in real life in other countries.

Eric

In Brazil, we also use "fishing" future candidates who are asked by a member (or two). Then, once one became iniciated, he stays at least during one and a half full year an entered apprentice, and at least a half full year as fellowcraft. So we also do not hurry hurry in the blue degrees. I think that, as Bro Eric says, "this gives new Masons time to reflect and grow". In the early begin of the new (Masonic) life of the former candidate, now entered apprentice, he "entered" Masonry - It takes time, a hard and long time, to have Masonry "entered" in his heart.

Best regards

Joćo Clemente
(jcdrbarros@gmail.com)

I must agree. Time to reflect on the loads of information that is thrown your way, should be digested in a longer period of time. I wonder if the Lodges are worried if they give more time, the brother will not return. How many times has your lodge opened in the fellowcraft degree, and stayed there, inorder that fellowcrafts can remain and see how/what is going on in Lodge.

My Mother Lodge was founded in only 1980 and was very successful for the first 15 years with a waiting list for new members and a very healthy Stewards list. It took two full terms from initiation to being raised and from the moment of joining a brother was welcomed into the Lodge and encouraged to participate and contribute in our work.
Standards were very high and there was an enthusiasm.
We regularly organised Charitable activities and visited our local RMBI care home to take residents on trips and interact with them - quiz nights, carol singing etc. etc.
But then, sadly, and in a short period of time, a number of the senior members passed to the Grand Lodge above and then the "Politics" of the over zealous/ambitious members started taking over and the cliques or select groups within the Lodge began forming. It followed a similar pattern which was observable in the central body of the Province. The workings of the Lodge being maniplulated for self perpetuation to achieve a high Provincial Rank or Grand Lodge rank.
I tend to think that these "Masons" do not follow the principles and tenets of the Craft. What is written in the little blue book to them appears purely for playacting in the Lodge room.
Result, we have lost and are still losing members at an alarming rate - even my 84 year old Father who was a founder of the Lodge felt he could no longer align himslef to this practice and resigned.
At the recent installation The Master, SW & JW, SD were all past masters - only the JD and Inner Guard were progressive and there was one Steward appointed; also a PM.
Because of the way in which the Lodge is being run the few "genuine" masons remaining are reluctant to propose new members.

Thankfully this is not the norm but it shows that Dr. Olivers quote is particularly relevant " if you have a good Lodge keep it select" - one bad apple can quickly sour the rest!!!

I must agree. The "one bad apple" syndrome can very easily destroy a Lodge of fine Masons. We used to share our building with another Lodge ( we own the building and we were renting it out " They became more and more, shall we say "aggresive" towards any and all monies raised at the various functions we all would put on. They insisted on holding the money,. yet it rarely "added up"
When confronted, they, or a specific few, became very much more than aggressive. Unmasonic would be better served to describe the behaviour. They now hold their meetings elsewhere. To bad. We did, however, gain some members from the out-going Lodge, so there is at least one small bright side. Politics and money don't mix!!!!! The Grand Architect please save us, because that turned more young men away than I've seen in my time as a Mason.
Keeping EVERYONE busy is definately a large piece of the puzzle. Eduction is also very important. Never give up!

In New Zealand (and the UK) the Lodge is opened in the First Degree and all business is done in the First. The Lodge is open in the superior Degrees only when necessary for ceremonial purposes. This ensures that our EAs and FCs are involved from the time they are initiated.

I find it difficult to understand why USA Lodges do everything in the 3rd. I think it may have been originally something to do with the aftermath of the Morgan Affair, but that's ancient history now!

If I am correct ALL business in Freemasonry was carried out in the 3rd Degree until the time of the 'exposures' and then change was permitted .
Our Lodge ,to this day, following Nederlandic tradition , permits business only in the 3rd.
After all 'who constitutes and is responsible for the lodge?'
I do not think that this detracts from brethren in 1st & 2nd - more important is the personal touch.

Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2